Devils Tower~the first National Monument.

Devils Tower Travel Blog

Devils Tower.

We got up early this morning and headed for Devils Tower in Wyoming. It was only a 2 1/2 hour drive from where we were. We got there and it was already in the mid 90's but the heat didn't diminish the enormity of the tower. I've never seen anything like it before. You could see it from a distance and once you got closer you were astounded by the enormity of it! Dad and I could just stare at it. We didn't go up into the actual park b/c we figured it was a waste of time seeing it any closer than where we were. I went into the gift shop and got a book on how it was formed and the history of it. I couldn't believe they think it's 50 million years old. Yes 50 million!!!!!!!! We then headed south for our next destination!

Pikes Peak here we come! We decided to skip Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons and save it for next year's trip to California. I've never been to Colorado and dad swears it's "God's Country through and through". He went there when he was 15 and remembers it like it was yesterday. So I'm super excited to be heading down there. We drove another 8 hours and ended in Wheatland, Wyoming extremely ready for bed. We didn't see much on our way down other than grassland, which apparently half of the state is covered in. So after 400 miles of grass, hay and cows we're ready for a change in scenery!

Ciao!