Dancing, tonight? You, me, Dave, and 10,000 monkeys?*

Milwaukee Travel Blog

Back in Milwaukee, but with barely enough time to collect my thoughts. The following day we would set off on our second planned adventure of the summer. Plans ultimately getting broken is a time tested theory as far as I'm concerned, but it was something that needed to be done if I wanted to make this happen. This, of course, is seeing the Umbilical Brothers show Thwak! in Hartford, CT. Not a single one of my friends (except the ones I'll speak of in a second) knows who the Umbilical Brothers are, but since TravBuddy is more of an international community, I'm confident some people here will.

The story is that I was introduced to these guys from their short lived children's program The Upside Down Show. Within five minutes of Trinity showing me the show I was already looking it up online to find out exactly who these guys were. I was excited to discover that Shane and David were not just the stars of a kid's TV show, but more specifically a comedy duo called the Umbilical Brothers, whose humor was mostly geared towards adults (not in a nasty way, just that they use "bad" words, but I am not one of those parents who freaks out about that type of thing). By the end of last summer alone, I had seen each of 13 episodes of the UDS about ten times each, but mostly I had become a YouTube fangirl, if you will. Their DVDs were not available in the United States, I didn't really have much else. What I love about Shane and David is that they are idiotic yet intelligent (like me!). Their style is unlike anything else I have seen around lately, or ever. They have an absolutely flawless delivery that both fascinates and inspires me, and perform bits that I can watch over and over again and not get bored of. In some ways, I am glad that the Upside Down Show was cancelled, because their humor was being wasted on preschoolers and soccer moms who didn't understand the witty MST3K like references. I also love that Trinity and I can share them. Lately she has her own interests and I have mine, but we both still love the Umbies. My friends who know the UDS think that I am a fan of theirs based solely on the show, because they know I also love Sesame Street and Mister Rogers, and they think I am simply someone who appreciates children's television shows. I know that Shane and Dave have a good percentage of fans who are moms. A write up for one of their live shows described them as being "regularly stalked by American mothers." There is nothing wrong with that. I just want to be clear as to why I myself love them, so let me just say this:

My obsession with the Umbilical Brothers has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I am a mom, and everything to do with the fact that I am a stoner. (It should be noted that I have not smoked pot for about ten years now, but in my heart, I will always consider myself a stoner.)

But I digress! When I found out that the Umbilical Brothers were coming to America this summer, it took me all of 5 seconds to decide I was going regardless of where in the US that might be, and about 30 seconds to figure out which of the three cities they were appearing (New York, Hartford, and Hampton, Virginia) I would be going to. It had to be Hartford, because of it's proximity to Boston, where I have a home away from home. As soon as I could, I immediately went online to buy (expensive, front row, non-refundable) tickets to a show that was two months away in a city that Midwest stopped flying to a year ago. Then, I used the Holiday Inn points I had saved up to reserve a non-refundable (not in money but in points, which are just as valuable) hotel room. This was the most non-refundable-ness I have done probably in my entire existence. But I figured that, one way or another, the universe would look out for me.

When the day came around though, every single flight from Milwaukee to Boston was either booked to capacity or oversold. Except one, the 10:20 am flight on Tuesday, which magically had 18 open seats. I knew the travel gods were smiling down on me. Anyone who might be trying to convince me that the world does not, in fact, revolve around me, would be hard pressed to do so using Midwest Airlines flight 205 as an example. I am certain that I created this flight with my thoughts. There are only a handful of flights that leave between 8:00 am and 1:00 pm. This MKE-BOS flight is one of those few. There is no logical reason for it's existence. A business traveler does not want to arrive in Boston at 1:30 in the afternoon. For that matter, neither do the tourists. It's right in between "having the whole day" and being too early to check into your hotel. There are already four other flights daily, and this one, which leaves almost randomly at 10:20 am, is hardly ever full. I fly stand-by as an employee, so I have to go when I can. It just so happens that if I could choose any time, any exact minute in fact, to leave Milwaukee and arrive in Boston, it would be these times. I loathe waking up in the middle of the might to travel (although I do it, obviously). I can sleep until 8:00 and get to the airport when there are barely any other flights leaving and breeze through security in a matter of minutes. And of all the cities for Midwest to fly to at this time, it's the one that I (who the world revolves around, as I said earlier) fly to more than any other. Nevertheless, I spent a good part of the day on Monday researching exactly what I would have to do to get to Hartford if something happened with my Boston flight, and I had to fly to Newark or Philly or LaGuardia instead (it was definitely possible, but would have cost me all kinds of additional non-refundable money, and more importantly TIME). I knew at that time that the flights were not open by any means for my return. But that is another story, and shall be told at another time... :)

*Shane Dundas, The Upside Down Show

Dr_Seuss says:
I had seen them before, but couldn't have remembered their name. Did kind of come back as soon as I saw them that they were Ozzies
Posted on: Sep 30, 2009
freak0ut says:
hahaha, they're funny right? Did you know who they were prior to watching tonight?
Posted on: Sep 27, 2009
Dr_Seuss says:
Just spent the later part of tonight watching the Umbilical Brothers on YouTube. PMSL :-D Quality 8)
Posted on: Sep 26, 2009