Into Scotland, and off to the Highlands

Inverness Travel Blog

Leaving Glasgow

I don't know how the idea of visiting Scotland even came about, considering I had no idea of the place and in those days, I wouldn't plan my trips to precision like I did with the latter ones circa 2005. All I know is that my best friend from my Engineering days asked me to come over, she said August is good festive time to visit Scotland and so without thinking, I went ahead - booked my ticket and before I knew it, I was in Scotland.

The AA flight I took would be my first of many AA Gatwick flights I'd be taking in the next few years. The aircraft was a luxurious B767 and I got a crappy seat thanks to the last minute booking/goofup by my travel agent. I sat in a horrible seat, didn't sleep very well and was quite tired when I actually arrived Gatwick.

a beautiful village en route
Oh, and the food sucked. What's new?!

Arriving in the UK was great as ever. It's the UK afterall! I'd really forgotten what Gatwick looked like, as it's been years (well, a little under 2 decades since I was here last). My last memories of Gatwick were the British Caledonian jumbos parked with those elegant stewardesses dressed in those checkered courdroy suits and white shirts! Anyways customs went on like a breeze and my luggage of course was checked in for the connecting BA flight to Glasgow.

I didn't do much in the airport actually, just spent some time @ Virgin Megastore, refilled my energy with Cafe Nero and boarded the plane to Glasgow. Short flight, sat next to a Glaswegian who instantly recognised that i was a tourist (pls tell me it wasn't the Nike shoes!) and gave me some good tips on sightseeing in the city.

The magnificent Scottish highlands
The thing that caught me here already was the Scottish pride!

Arrival into Glasgow - smooth. Missing checkedin luggage - not so smooth. Especially when we were planning on driving straight the Highlands that very day! My friend's husband picked me up at the airport, was great seeing him after 4 yrs or so. And then we drove home... I just couldn't believe I was in Scotland! My friend Vaiji and her 2 yr old were waiting at home, Vaiji had made some great Indian food and we all had lunch. And around 3pm, we set off to..... THE HIGHLANDS!!!

We stopped off at Tesco's before making our way to some popular "village" en route to the Highlands (forgot its name) and then, began our long journey to the highlands with foto stops. I really don't have much to say about it other than "look at the pictures".

There was an almost eerie feel to the journey that was surprisingly comforting. Nature just seems so big and magnificent, and towers over us. This was one of those moments I guess where time stood still, and I even to this day remain expressionless. (Interestingly, I passed by the SAME route during my Scottish trip 2005 and it was broad daylight, so the Highlands didn't really seem that majestic. I guess it was a combination of the gloomy weather and the rain clouds and all).

Our drive lasted forever (not that I was complaining) until we reached our stop for the night. We checked into a hotel. It was past sunset by the time and so we settled in for a dinner of fish and chips (thanks guys for explaining what brown sauce, tartar sauce and red sauces are!) before settling into our room. Vaiji put the girl to bed whilst Raju and I took a late night walk on the lake catching up on the last 4 years. I was quite exhausted so had an early night (by my standards) at about 1130pm.

The feeling was just great. To be, in less than 10 hours transported from dried up ole Texas to misty mysterious Scottish Highlands.... surreal!

mountaingirl says:
congrats on the feature blog! You know I love Scotland :)
Cho says:
Congratulations on this featured blog!
monkeymia79 says:
Congratulations on the featured blog Vik.

Scotland really is spectacular.
Inverness