Fish and Chips in Honduras?

Lake Yojoa Travel Blog

My friends Allan and Chelle

My visit to Lake Yojoa was short but magical. The lake is situated on the highway between the two largest Honduran cities, Tegucigalpa and San Pedro Sula. A popular pitstop for people travelling the highway and a place known for its fresh fried lake fish and chips.

We stopped there for about an hour, me and my two friends from San Pedro, Allan and Chele. We were driving from San Pedro Sula to Tegucigalpa when we arrived at this beautful place. The first thing i noticed were the restaurants who all offered the same menu: Fried fish and chips.

The view from the Restaurant
The guys said to me: ,,Elsa, if you are planning to live here in Honduras, you HAVE to try the fish they have here!!!"
I didn't have much choice, the guys seemed pretty excited about it but i couldn't see what the big fuss was.. it's just fish? In my home country, Iceland, a big part of the countries income comes from the fish so i eat fish at least 2 times a week so it wasn't all that big of a deal for me. But the Honduranians LOVE IT! I thing its the fact that it is really different from their tipical food, tortillas and thousand different versions of bean-based dishes (wich i LOVE).
So we picked a restaurant, wich was pretty hard cause they are like 20 of them all serving the same thing, but we finally came to a decision. The next step was picking your fish, then we ordered some beers and sat down.
There it is! The fish!!
The view we had over the lake from our table was truly magical. The lake was far more beautiful then a expected, surrounded by mountains and beautiful plants and trees.
Then the fish came. A whole fried fish on a plate with chips. I wasnt hungry anymore! I dont know about people in general but i am not very fond of looking my meal in the eyes while eating it! But hey, if i was to become a true honduranian, i must eat the fish!

So i did, and surprisingly it was really tasty! We poured some lemon over it and had some red onion in a jar along with it (dont remember what its called!) while enjoying the view of lake Yojoa. After a shocking, but a satisfying meal we hit the road again to Tegicigalpa.

So, thanks to my two friends from San pedro i was one step closer to be considered a true Honduranian!

Beautiful Lake Yooja
Beautiful Lake Yooja
Allan excited to finally eat.
Allan excited to finally eat.
Yummy!
Yummy!
You fancy a head?
You fancy a head?
It tasted better then it looks!
It tasted better then it looks!
Then we hit the road