PSPs, Dead Mice, and Eating Hamsters.

Changwon Travel Blog

So, a bit's been happening here in the last week or so. Last weekend I managed to procure the only PSP slim & lite I've seen in Korea in the last 2 months. After scouring stores both here, in the next town over, and even in Seoul, I found one store who had a guy that could get one from someone else.....I'm kind of afraid the whole thing happened on the...uh...downlow, aka, black market...but since in the end I bought it from a proper store with a proper receipt and all (albeit, with a 75 dollar *add on accessory*)  I guess it's legit. So, I was super excited about that since it's in English and it works and everything. Then, I went to the store and bought some games. The games are all in Korean. I can't understand a word, no English available whatsoever. A major bummer, to be sure.

After the PSP I got a haircut. It took a while...a lot of translating from the gf and a lot of hand gestures and at one point, even grabbing some clippers and trying to do it myself to show the hairdresser..... In the end, it all came out alright, so that was a nice little mission accomplished.

In other news; In one of my younger classes we were having a lesson on pets. So we got to talking about pets and I started talking about my hamster. One of the kids asked what his name was and I told them, "Bob". Then, to my amazement/horror, a few of the kids starting making eating motions and saying, "yum, I love eating Bob." The only thing running through my head was that they wanted to eat my hamster, Bob!! I kept repeating, "NOOOOOO, we don't eat hamsters, you can't eat Bob." But they continued, "yes, we like Bob. Good.." Later on, I told one of the Korean teachers about the whole exchange and she started laughing. It turns out that bob is the Korean word for rice, and they were saying,"we love eating rice....rice is good". Well, that was a relief. Pretty humorous stuff after the fact, but for a while there I was kind of worried for all the hamsters in Changwon.

Oh, and yesterday, one of my students asked me if I liked mice and if we had mice in the U.S. I told her that we have lots of mice but I don't really like them. After class, she walked up to me with her backpack and asked me again if I liked mice. I replied, "no" and then she opened her backpack. She had a dead mouse in her backpack. She was carrying it around all day because she wanted to bury it when she got home because she felt sorry for it. Touching....and disgusting....all at the same time. I don't think anyone's explained to her about death/decay/rodent diseases, etc., but I it's nice to see a sentimenal side of the kids, even if it comes out in strange ways. Never a dull moment in class, I guess. That's the news for now.

photo by: jlchatham