From Jeju to Gangchon. The beach to the mountains.

Jeju Travel Blog

A harubang

So the weekend before last, I hopped on a flight down to the island of Jeju for a weekend of R & R and to celebrate the fact that my Christmas vacation consisted of a weekend and two days off. hmmm... haha. Guess it's better than working on Christmas day. Jeju is nice. I love that place, completely unlike anything else in Korea, which in and of itself is enough to like. The roads there are nice and wide and empty, and the whole time I was thinking how nice it'd be to live there and ride around the island on a bike. The beaches and ocean are beautiful, and some of the rocky shorelines and islands are breathtaking. The cities are so much smaller and there's none of the congestion and neon lights and utter chaos that seems to encompass the bigger cities on the mainland (at least in the south of Jeju, not sure about the capital city).

It's very calm, very relaxing. There are tangerine trees everywhere and lots of nice outdoor's type things to do. Loved it!

This weekend I headed up north of Seoul to do some snowboarding. The trip was part of a package deal through some travel organization. The company turned out to be a complete joke and totally shafted us all, telling us after the first day that the second day of snowboarding wasn't actually included in the two day, "all inclusive" price. Whatever. It was still a good time, and the ridiculousness of all that plus the crazy goings on with the accomodations made it kind of funny. "Korea Sparkling"! yeah, right, haha. Snowboarding was a riot. I took out my friend trying to get off the lift on the first go, then proceeded to fall about every 10 feet all the way back down the mountain, finally succumbing to gravity and sliding on my butt most of the way to get back down.
Jeju is famous for its tangerines.
By the end of the day I was getting the hang of it all but some gnarly crashes has left my backside utterly devestated. Never have I had so many sore spots in so many places. Even now, two days later, it still hurts when I sit and my elbows and knees are black and blue. I'm anxious to hit up a closer resort next time, though, and get everything down.

Despite all the debacles, it was definitely a fun trip with the friends, and the train and bus rides were nice as well. I  rode the train through a mini-blizzard to get back home which was pretty nice to watch out the window.

In any case, back at home now and January 2 kicks off the winter intensive course at school, meaning 9:30 to 7:30 workdays for a pittance of overtime. Yay, sparkling. I'm hoping all the work will numb me enough to get through this month because at the beginning of February I'm headed to Beijing for Chinese New Year. Should be spectacular. Then the countdown continues, 6.5 months to go after that. Woohoo. That's the word for now. Until next time.

Jeju