Return to Anchorage & stop to walk on a Glacier

Anchorage Travel Blog

Morning came and if had finally stopped raining.  We were packing up the van planning how we would add four boxes of fish with the front door to our cabin open when Brenda yelled “There’s a moose outside!”  Walking right across our yard about 20 yards away was a young bull moose.  His antlers were more stubs than anything but we saw our bull moose.  He slowly sauntered across in front of the cabins and back into the woods.

We got back into town and picked up our boxes of fish.  The van quickly became very crowded with two suitcases being moved up to the middle of the van.

The drive to Anchorage went smooth.

Exibits at Portage Glacier
  We stopped at the Portage Glacier Viewing Center, which you can no longer see Portage Glacier from.  This is a big change since the last time I was there when I was 11 years old.

The center now cost $3 per person, however it is part of the Chugach National Forest so we could use Grandpa’s new National Park pass so we could all get in for free.  It was a nice little walk around, some natural history, animal and glacier information.  But the best part was when we left and we took the hiking trail by the lake cruises.  It was .8 miles one way but you waked up and onto Byron Glacier.  It was very cool.  You can really be adventurous there if you know what part of the glacier is safe or not.

Hiking the trail to Byron Glacier
  We saw people climbing way up into the ice flow (keep in mind this is where large pieces of ice can be unstable and cave in or fall on you).

It was 2:00 by the time we made it to Anchorage and we were hungry.  But priorities were important, we first needed to get the fish into a cooler.  Janet called the hotel and they said they could take care of it for us, but when we walked in with our 150 lbs of fish they took one look at it and said there was no way they could get that into their freezer.  So they sent us to the “fish locker” on 10th and M.  They charged $8 per box but we felt they were in good hands.  We would pick them up the next day and have 24 hours to get it back into a freezer (and when we arrived in Wisconsin about 30 hours later it was still frozen solid).

We finally made it to Janet’s by 2:45 and we hadn’t eaten since 8:00 that morning.  So the appetizers came out.  Janet had prepared for us some BBQ pulled beef sandwiches, coleslaw, potatoe salad, salad with oranges and cooked special for me, some Alaska King Grab legs.  Oh my gosh, simply amazing!

For drinks everyone had their Alaska Beer.  Some tried the “White” with an orange slice recommended by our raft guide in Denali.  As he said, “It’s a little girlie, but you gotta go with the flavor.

I found the moonshine!
  So true, it was like a Blue Moon.  I was trying to help Janet with her supply of Guinness, Wine for the ladies and a sampling of “Permafrost” some very good vodka make just outside of Anchorage.  Very smooth.

We also found a bottle of homemade moonshine from a friend.  This definitely scared me.  I prepared to taste something aweful, but rather it was the sweetest tasting Apple Cider I have ever had.  It left me wanting more and it definitely would have knocked me out if I acted on that.  We stayed at Janet’s for a relaxing night with great company, great food & great drinks.

Moose in Seward
Moose in Seward
Me & Smokey
Me & Smokey
Its G.W.!
Its G.W.!
Permafrost, Alaskan Vodka.  Smooth!
Permafrost, Alaskan Vodka. Smooth!
Moose wants some Basketball
Moose wants some Basketball
The group in front of the cabin in…
The group in front of the cabin i…
Stream from Byron Glacier
Stream from Byron Glacier
Wandering around the base of the g…
Wandering around the base of the …
Blue ice up the glacier