North to Alaska

Anchorage Travel Blog

Flight 139 to Anchorage

We have a group of 7.  My wife and myself, taking her two parents, an aunt and uncle and grandfather.  I have been to Alaska 4 times before but it is their first time.  It has been a goal of theirs and the idea of going on a big anniversary.  Well that was a few years ago.  Bob and Judy (aunt and uncle) celebrated their 25th this year and their 50th birthday this year.  Which is great for finding travel deals with Alaska also celebrating its 50th birthday.  This will save us well over $300 throughout the trip.

We flew out of Chicago to Anchorage, direct flight with Alaskan airlines.  Got to Alaska and was greeted by my aunt.  It is meant to be an easy day so we just get settled into the hotel and go to her house in Anchorage for some reindeer sausage, smoked and grilled salmon.  Amazing meal, which is something to expect when visiting my aunt.  But the fellow travelers are just learning this.

To keep the price down for the trip we thought about buying groceries.  We settled just for breakfast finding that everything needs to be shipped to Alaska, which means grocery prices are not cheap.  But buying bagels and cereal for breakfast is still cheaper than going out for breakfast everyday up here.

Aunt Janet watching the salmon