Suzdal - a UNESCO village

Suzdal Travel Blog

Suzdal one of so-called Golden Ring towns (around Moscow) and played an important role in Russian history. It takes approx. 5 hours to get there from Moscow (through Vladimir) and your first impression when you enter the town is: "Where the hell am I?" It's kind of a shock when you come from Moscow, a city with its 10mln inhabitants, to a rural town, a home to 12k people!....When I got there it was about 6pm and there was literally no-one on streets ....I headed directly to a hostel and when I asked the receptionist if the hostel is full she smiled and said the season is over and that only one Swiss women had checked-in. I met her shortly and she suggested we two go for dinner with a third tourist in town she met earlier - a girl from Spain.
So together with Angela and Jessica I was eating my dinner when an American man came to our empty restaurant and desperately asked: "Does anybody speak English here??" Well, of course, he joined our table as he was a forth tourist in town :-)....Later in the evening we decided to go for a drink to a different place - a bar where we were shortly joined by 2 little bit drank Russian guys who gave us a fresh carp....no kiding! Unfortunatelly we coudn't accept it because what to do with a carp at midnight but we had some funny time with them although our communication was not that easy as they barely spoke any English. God Bless for my little knowledge of Russian!They also offered to go with them to banya (a Russian version of sauna) but we were quite tired and they were drank so....maybe next time.
Funny is, you never know who you meet on road or in the middle of nowhere - this is a magic of travelling. The American guy who joined us was Vincent - a three-time senior US national rowing team member with whom I spent a half of the following day.  Jessica was a profi photographer.
Jessica, Angela, Vincent and me