Sleepy Nong Khai

Nong Khai Travel Blog

It’s very straightforward to cross the Lao-Thai border from Vientiane to Nong Khai. There’re few options, for example I took a minivan from Thai embassy where I had gone to pick up my visa to Lao immigration point (50 baht) and then from there I continued by a border-crossing minibus to Thai immigration point (20 baht). Once in Thailand I walked all the way to the town centre with Garry, an American veteran, whom I met in back in Vientiane and spent some time with him…In Nong Khai, I stayed in Mut Mee Guesthouse which was recommended by my Argentinean friend Luciana. It was very nice and comfortable place, with a dorm bed for 100 baht, and very relaxing garden with hammocks….that’s why I spent 3 nights there despite the fact there’s not much to do in Nong Khai. I didn’t mind to read a book in a hammock all the long or cycle to a Sculpture Park with unusual Buddha statues. One of the reasons why I extended my stay in Nong Khai was that I was waiting for my old friends Gayle and John who were at the beginning of their new trip - to cycle through Laos to China….and Nong Khai was also on their way…..

Nong Khai