Woohoo Peru.

Cusco Travel Blog

It was a bit of a haul to Peru. After catching a 6:00 am flight to Miami, we spent about 5.5 hours wandering around the airport. We then caught the afternoon flight to Lima, arriving around 10:30 pm. Our flight to Cusco wasn’t until 6:00 the next morning, so we found a seat in the food court and hunkered down. I headed off to an internet café to wile a bit of time away, but spent the majority of the night listening to Jay Z with my head on a table, jumping a foot in the air every time a PA would come on and jolt me out of the half-conscious state I was in. It wasn’t that bad, though, and 6:00 am came quite quickly.

We caught the flight to Cusco and had a chance to catch a birds-eye view of the Andes. They’re quite massive. We plopped down into Cusco and caught a cab into the downtown area. My dad’s eyes were quite large as we meandered about the streets and I remembered what my first car ride in Guatemala had been like: nuts! Quite the culture shock. We began walking up a hill to our hostel and promptly started gasping for air. Whose idea was this anyway??

We settled in for a nap and then walked around a little bit looking for food. Being our first day, we were in no rush to overdo it so we headed back to our hotel and hit the sack early. We’d made it to Peru.

We arrived on Monday and our hike to Machu Picchu began on Wednesday, so we spent Tuesday doing a bit of exploring. We set off up the hill above us to the statue of Jesus that loomed over the city. It was quite a strenuous excursion but the skies were clear and the views were fantastic.

And then there was the sun.  I kinda forgot how much stronger the sun is this close to the equator, especially 11,000 feet up, and I got some nice sunburn within a couple of hours.  After six or so hours of exploring, we hit up a fantastic juice bar, did a bit of window shopping, and sat around in the plaza people-watching for a bit. We finally signed off and went to bed, nervous with anticipation but looking forward to our 6 am rendezvous that would kick off our four day trek to Machu Picchu.  Until then!
photo by: Vlindeke