Inca Trail Day 4 and Peru wrap up

Machu Picchu Travel Blog

Day four brought our earliest wakeup yet, around 4:30. After a quick breakfast and a stop at the final checkpoint, we had an hour or so hike up to the Sun Gate. From here we were able to catch a glimpse of Machu Picchu swirling about in the clouds before descending another 45 minutes to the terraces where all the National Geographic type photos of Machu Picchu are taken. Of course, by this point it was pouring rain. We sat around a bit while we gathered the whole group together, and then had a nice tour of the site. It was still raining but that hardly detracted from the splendor of Machu Picchu. What a place. The buildings, walls, stones, paths…. All of it was really quite amazing. And the location! On every side was a sheer drop. Astounding.

The rain finally abated and I ran back up to the terraces to get some photos with relatively clear skies.

Here it was, what I'd hiked for four days to behold; what I'd first seen on a poster in my tenth grade Latin Class. Machu Picchu, in all of its mysteriousness, its historical intrigue, its harmony of man and nature; a true wonder of the world. Quite the sight.

After exploring for another hour or so, we caught the bus and made our way down the 30 minute, hairpin dirt road to the town of Aguas Calientes. After a pretty good lunch, Dad and I hiked to the top of town and had a dip in the natural hot springs to help our legs recover from the onslaught of the previous day. We were happy to have gotten through it all in fairly good condition and this seemed like as good a way as any to reward ourselves after our adventure.  After another walk around town and a short dinner, we caught a two hour train and then transferred to a bus for another hour and a half ride back to Cusco. And then we were done, before we even really realized it.

The following day we rested up and watched some movies and then the next day we partook in an ATV excursion around the mountains of Cusco. It was great getting out and making our way to the tops of all the hills, having a chance to look out at distant mountains and over the city. It was a good way to finish up our time in Cusco and I'd say we both had a great time on this trip. It was fun being back in a Latin culture and I was happy to find that my Spanish hadn't deteriorated as much as I'd thought it would. I'm anxious to make my way back down to this part of the world, and hope that that will be sooner rather than later. So until then.

Machu Picchu