Days Eight and Nine: Chasing Great Danes and Then Finally Home

Indianapolis Travel Blog

 › entry 8 of 8 › view all entries
     After rising early once again we all piled into the car and headed out. The directions my dad got off of Mapquest ended up being slightly wrong. It told us to turn onto on street and go somewhere when we couldn't get to the place it told us to go from the street it told us to get on. But I soon fell asleep and when I woke up we were very close to my cousin Karen's house.

     A bunch of our family showed up to see us and have lunch and dinner. My cousin Lavaonne and her husband Nate, My cousin Sharon Anne her husband Keith, Sharon Anne daughter Sarah and her girlfriend Heather, and then the grandmother. Lavonne is Karen's daughter and they live the closest, so it didn't take them long to get there. In fact, everyone but Sarah and her girlfriend was already there waiting for us when we pulled up. Even the Dachshund Oscar Mayer and the old lab Candy Joe was there to say hi to us.

     We all sat around in the kitchen catching up for a while. We talked about the recent weddings and looked at pictures while we ate lunch. My brother went upstairs to his guest room and watched tv. It had been a long drive for all of us. We all eventually moved into the living room and talked some more while watching some TV. Sarah and Heather showed up and then and Lavonne took us over to see the Great Dane puppies her neighbors were selling. They were so cute!!

     After coming bak and sitting for a while Sharon Anne wanted to go over and see the puppies so we all went back over. There was only one puppy out in the back yard, which wasn't right because there were four puppies and two adults. Lavonne knocked on the windows trying to get them to come out but nothing happened. Just then the big adult male came trotting up behind us. This wasn't right, so after I scrambled into the backyard and discovered that there were no toher dogs in the yard or the dig area of the house we got to go on a dog hunt.

     We got a call from Lavonne mom to tell us that the mother and the pups were over in there yard drinking out of the pond. So we ran across the street (me tripping and scraping up my shin and bruising my hip) and scooped up the pups and went back across the street with the mother following. When we went to put the pups back in the yard the male we already had went running and the mother broke away to follow. My dad and heather chased after the two adults while me and Sharon Anne and her husband followed while the rest stayed with the puppies. They chased after them for a mile and a half until they caught them in a stream bed back behind a high school. After bringing them back and getting everyone back in the yard we all headed back to Karen's house. Their owner showed up at the house a few minutes later and offered anyone a puppy in return, but none of u s could take them. Apparently this was the fourth time that week the dogs had gotten out. My brother got attached to their bull dog puppy named Cooter, he really wanted to take him home.

     After we got done with dinner and the ice cream cake for Lavonne birthday we all sat around for a while longer. People slowly went home until it was just my family and Karen and her husband were left. We all went to bed to get reayd for the long drive home the next day. My dad and stepmother got a room upstairs. My brother got the one down the hall from them and I slept on the couch in the living room. It was very comfortable and I woke up around nine the next morning to a big breakfast.

     I sadly didn't eat much breakfast, i was anxious to be back on the road. We said our goodbyes, piled back into the car and was on our way. I slept for the first part, until we stopped for lunch at an Arby's. After lunch, which was good, we were back on the road until we stopped once again for gas and then some ice cream at Dairy queen. it was one of our more amusing stops as I banged my head when I went to sit down and my brother and dad almost peed themselves laughing. The joke continued on until i fell back asleep in the car. After waking up somewhere in Pennsylvania I read until it got too dark and then stayed up until we got home at around nine thirty at night. It was a ten and a half hour trip in the car. Never again.

    We unpacked the car and then sat around until my mom picked my brother and I up to take this home. I was so exhausted that I fell to sleep almost as soon as my head hit the pillow. I was so happy to be back in my own bed.

    Today was spent mostly laying around and relaxing, re-cooperating from the the car ride. Tomorrow I see my boyfriend for the first time ina  while and then its back to my old routine. It was a good vacation while it lasted, but I am so glad to be back home.
WonderDog says:
No pictures of babys? Scooter sad!
Posted on: Aug 21, 2009
marksreynolds says:
Glad you had a good time! By the way, it was Heather and me that chased after Daisy & Duke :)
Posted on: Aug 19, 2009
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!