First Day

Rio de Janeiro Travel Blog

wonderful Rio traffic
The drive to the hotel was really cool. I even faced one of my biggest fears. Un-beknownst to me we were to pass through two long ass tunnels and I'm Claustrophobic. I did not panic and was so proud of myself.
Driving to Copacabana you saw some of the Favela's up close. But from a distance, I found a strange beauty to them.
We checked into our Hotel. The Orla Copacabana Hotel right on the beach. And immediately started exploring. The rooftop view of Copacabana beach was spectacular.
We walked the town and found a grocery store to stock up on water, alcohol and snacks.

First meal was at a "Kilo" restaurant where its buffet style and your food is weighted. So you can eat as little or as much as you want. I had Black beans, rice and steak with a fired egg on top. It was delish!!!
After dinner, we went back to our hotel and talked to the concierge to find out if there were any dance clubs around. He said since it was a monday that our options were limited around there but there were a row of bars a few blocks and he gave us directions.
We found the bar and I proceeded to get very familar with the local drink of Caiprinha's which is a cane rum infused with live juice and sugar. The Nector of the Gods in my opinion!
Few Caiprinha's later, we did find our way back to the hotel and crashed. Of course after that night, I made sure not to drink as many Caiprinha's the rest of my trip!
Driving in