Skiing in a mall... in the desert.

Dubai Travel Blog

Well, my number one objective during my stay here in Dubai was to head to the magnificent and world-famous Mall of the Emirates. Why? To ski of course!

After sandboarding in the desert, I wanted to try it on snow. In Dubai, that's no problem at all. Mark the British guy, a guy named Ridwon from South Africa who is teaching in Kuwait, and myself all piled into a taxi for the big adventure.

Skiing in a mall...in the desert!
Mark was planning on skiing and I had my mind set on having another go at snowboarding.

After perusing the mall a bit, we walked down the "via Rodeo", a section of the mall stacked with some high-end shops. We browsed through the Armani and Dolce & Gabanna shops but didn't think the $300 tshirts and $2,000 jackets were really what we were looking for.  With the realization that it might be a while (or never) before I could really afford any of that stuff, I headed to the slopes. For about 50 dollars I got kitted out and handed a snowboard and a two hour pass. It was a bit hard to adjust from the 100 degree heat outside to the 34 degree cold in the ski area, but I managed ok.

After about 45 minutes of perilously sliding down the slopes on the board (not the backside! Success!) I decided to head all the way to the top and let it rip back down.

The Burj al Arab
Then I was told not to do that anymore by one of the "snow patrol" guys. Apparently I didn't look like I was "in control" and I was posing a danger to myself and everyone else. I felt like I was always in control, and I if were heading straight towards someone and couldn't stop, I would just fall over. No big deal....

I decided that that was enough snowboarding for the day and promptly switched to some skis and headed right back to the top, looking for that same guy who told me not to go back up! After not seeing him, I let loose and bombed down the slope, feeling a bit like a Bode Miller or something....until I caught an edge and slid a ways down the slope, losing a pole in the process. So much for being a rebel. Guess I needed a bit of a warmup after not skiing for two years.

Anyway, after two hours my ears were sufficiently frozen and I retired for the day, completely satisfied with the outing. Skiing in a mall in the desert. Doesn't sound possible. That's Dubai, though.

Tomorrow I'm heading to the airport early in the AM. I'm flying to Bahrain and then onto Jordan. I figured I'd meander around Amman for a bit until Saturday afternoon when Jiyoung arrives in town. Then we'll head off to the majestic city of Petra. Excited? That's a serious understatement.

Until then.

The Burj al Arab
Burj Dubai, tallest building in th…
Burj Dubai, tallest building in t…
A few nice rides.