Sandboarding in the desert.

Dubai Travel Blog

Dune bashing in 4wds.

After reading back through some of the blogs, I think I've come off as a bit more negative than I intended. Of course, traveling is difficult and extremely different, but most of the time I find the differences more interesting than irritating, although I haven't portrayed that very well. So, I'll try to work on that. Keep in mind that any negative things I write about aren't meant to be seen as completely negative, just a bit different than how I'm used to things being done, and sometimes different takes a bit of getting used to.

It's all part of the experience!

Anyway, it's been an exciting two days. After going to the Wafi Center Mall yesterday morning, I came back to the hostel and got picked up to go on my desert safari. Woohoo! I've never been in a proper desert with the sand dunes and the like, so I was really looking forward to it. After about an hour of driving, and another 30 minutes or so of playing in the sand while waiting for the other cars, we got ready for some serious dune bashing. We were all in new Toyota Landcruisers, and after the drivers let some air out of the tires, we set off in a little convoy and headed at breakneck speeds towards our first sand dunes.

I had the good fortune of sitting in the front seat so I was grinning from ear to ear as we began sliding sideways down our first sand dune.

Intense! We were fourth in line so I got to see all the other cars go first and sufficiently freak myself out before feeling my stomach go into my throat as we started up and down. I asked the driver if he'd ever rolled a car and was happy to hear that he hadn't, but a bit nervous when he said some of the others had. Yikes! After about 30 minutes of some serious excitement, we headed to the "camp".

At the camp we were served a monstrous bbq dinner which I was super excited to have. I also got to try some sandboarding. What I didn't anticipate was how difficult it is to walk up a sanddune that's 3 stories high. By the time I got to the top I thought I was going to die, as it was still almost 100 degrees, even though the sun had already set. My first three runs down were pretty cool, but on the fourth one I started going in a new direction, hit a bush, and rolled down the rest of the sand dune.

Of course I was sweating like crazy so I was quickly covered head to toe and some extremely fine sand which didn't plan on coming off anytime soon. After that we all gathered around to smoke the Shisha, the traditional Arabian water pipe with flavoured...something. Someone told me it was crushed apple flowers. The smoke passes through water at the bottom of the pipe which is supposed to "cleanse" it so that it doesn't hurt your lungs or anything. I don't know about that, but it was an interesting experience. On the whole, I had a really good time and came back and slept fairly well for the rest of the night, until 6am this morning when the temple beside the hostel started blaring out the "end of Ramadan" chant for about 30 minutes. Ah!

I was excited about today because after sweating it out while sandboarding on the dunes, I planned on heading indoors for a little snowboarding on the slopes. Stay tuned for that adventure, coming soon...

Dune bashing in 4wds.
Where we had dinner and sandboardi…
Where we had dinner and sandboard…
Shisha!