Opulence: The high life in Dubai

Dubai Travel Blog

Inside the Wafi Center Mall.

I saw another Lamborghini. That made two in twenty hours after not seeing one for the past 24 years. Then I saw the Lambo dealership. Wow.

The past two days have been spent rummaging around Dubai, hitting up two of the beaches, lounging in the pool, and hitting up the Wafi Center Mall. The beaches were absolutely gorgeous with hardly any people on them. The first one we went to was on a lagoon, so there weren't any waves. The second one I went to was right beside the Burj al Arab, on the Persian Gulf. Wonderful, although I think I stepped on a crab because something pinched my foot.

Ouch.

This morning I made it to the Wafi Center Mall. This whole thing is done up in an Arabian Nights/ Egyptian pharoah type motiff. It's actually shaped like an enormous pyramid. Quite stunning. I had planned to look for some flipflops and sunglasses, but a quick look around told me that wasn't going to happen. You could walk into this place with 100 grand and easily spend it in one day. The place is huge and absolutely stacked with insane high-end stuff. I happened upon a chocolate shop. This place apparently does a bit of catering for weddings or whatever you have in Dubai, and the individually wrapped chocolates were set up in some dazzling displays. Each chocolate costs about 35 bucks. Is that right? Yeah. I took a peak at the price of one of the medium-sized displays: Over $3,000.

Inside the Wafi Center Mall.
I was too afraid to get close to any of the others. This chocolate must have been made of pure gold or something. Utterly insane.

After checking out some 20,000 dollar watches and wondering what I would buy if I were a bazillionaire, I called it quits and headed back to the hostel in a taxi. Dubai is so gigantic that the taxi rides can be quite expensive. I think I've already spent over $50 bucks on taxis in the few days I've been here.

I've tried taking the bus a few times, but it didn't work out so well. The buses are supposed to run every 12 minutes, but Dubai has some of the worst traffic I've ever seen, so it'll usually take 30-40 minutes to see one. BUT.... keeping to the idea that luxory and comfort are first and foremost, all of the buses are designed like express buses with maximum leg room and minimum seating.

the Wafi Center Mall.
And virtually no standing room. This means that they fill up quite quickly. And when that happens, they don't let anyone on unless someone gets off. And there are lots and lots of people trying to use the buses. I haven't waited over an hour yet because by then I give up and get a taxi. That's happened three out of four times now. Hooray. Hopefully this will be somewhat alleviated when the Metro opens next year, but still not that great for out of the way places. Renting a car is an absolute must for anyone planning on coming here. Seeing as how a rental is about 60 bucks a day, you'll actually save money by not taking a taxi across the city and back. Word of advice.

Coming up: my desert safari. Sweeeeet!

Dubai