Back in Warsaw

Warsaw Travel Blog

Flowers!

I had been visiting the great city of Warsaw once before almost 3 years ago, but this was while the city was very cold and a bit grey; it was between Christmas and New Year 2006. It was a nice trip but moving around in the city was a really cold experience, because Warsaw is an open city with a lot broad streets and parks, so there is not much cover. When I was there the last time I was certain that I would come back, but didn't know that I would be hosted by friends living there; things can move fast in a couple of years.

I arrived in the airport late afternoon; I had taken the SN Brussels from Brussels, which is only a two hour flight and I landed 5.

30pm. The plane had been half full, which had suited me well; I like when there is some space around me and it makes the trip so much more comfortable when you dont have to be in like a cattle transport. Warsaw airport is quite nice with open views and loads of space, but they often have some delay delivering the suitcases; I didn't have that experience but my friend had told me and he was flying in at least every second or third week. Well he was right, it turned out to be even very true; I guess we all waited around 30 minutes before the suitcases arrived and it was not a even a busy day in the airport.

Outside my friends waited for me and besides being happy for seeing them I enjoyed that the weather looked really nice. It was about 25 degrees Celsius and glorious sunshine or 35 degrees warmer than last time I was there. It was nice to arrive at a place, where the first thing you see and get is a smile and a hug!

We drove out to my friends apartment, which was between the airport and the city centre and dropped of my things; it could go fast enough to get in to the city, so 15 minutes later we headed straight for the city centre.

Due to the 65th anniversary of the Polish uprising in Warsaw they had re-numbered the lamp pole like they were during WWII. The number was often used as a meeting point for the Resistance.
Again it was not more than 5-10 minutes drive from where they live. My eyes were in heaven; there were so many new things to registre and Ewelina was a good story teller.

We parked close to the Royal Palace and soon found ourselves in the middle of the 65th celebration of the Warsaw uprising. The uprising had of cause been against the Nazi's during WW II. In midtown people were dressed up in uniforms or in clothing from the war and in front of the Royal Palace you could pass by a copy of an old control gate built like they had them 65 years earlier.

Otherwise the city was full of people walking the streets, this was both locals and tourists but everybody was truly enjoying the power of the sun.

The Old Market
The city centre was really busy, on top of the celebration of the uprising, there were flowers everywhere and almost every restaurant or bar had an outdoor service, which almost all were completely full. It was an amazing set-up; everybody looked so happy in the summer sun and I guess I did too.

We walked through the old town and in to the new town and found a place where we sat down to talk and enjoy the city. We went for beers and I took a Zywiec, which was a very nice draft beer. I guess we were sitting there for almost one hour and it was truly great and relaxing. I kept on thinking about that I less than six hours ago had been sitting in my office in Brussels. Today eveything is possible!

We had walked by several good restaurants which they had recommended and I chose to try a Jewish restaurant.

Skwer bar
I actually could ot remember that I ever had been in a jewih restaurant before so that was why I wanted to go there. As always I jump right in to some local food which I really enjoyed; especially the hunters stew.

After the restaurant we walked slowly back to the Royal Castle and enjoyed the sights in the night with all the lights cascaded on the different buildings. There was still a lot of people in the streets and almost all places that had out door service were full.

My friends recommended a place they had been to just th week before and a place that just had opened. We therefore stopped at  Skwer, which turned out to be a very nice and trendy bar. When we came there was no tables free so we sat down like many others on the pavement untile a table was free. We stayed there for some time before heading home after a first great evening in Warsaw. An evening that made me look even more forward towards the following day. :)

freshxthisx says:
My deletes cannot be recovered..so I will tell you again, you are a very good story teller!! I enjoyed!
Posted on: Nov 21, 2011
Lord_Mike says:
Great read! Congratulations on your feature, my friend!
Posted on: Jul 11, 2010
Africancrab says:
Congratulations Christian.
Posted on: Jul 11, 2010
Flowers!
Due to the 65th anniversary of the…
Due to the 65th anniversary of th…
RIP
RIP
Next to the Royal Palace
Next to the Royal Palace
Nice house
Nice house
I like the ground floor
I like the ground floor
The 65th anniversary of the Polish…
The 65th anniversary of the Polis…
One of many wonderful houses
One of many wonderful houses
The Old Market in the Old Town
The Old Market in the Old Town
Look at the wall
Look at the wall
The old Market
The old Market
Inside the Post Office at the Old …
Inside the Post Office at the Old…
Sitting indoor outdoor!
Yes, a cold beer
Yes, a cold beer
Warsaw Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Pod Samsonem
This restaurant is situated just outside the city wall and on the way from the old city centre toward what they call the new city, which in fact is st… read entire review
Warsaw Nightlife & Entertainment review
Skwer
Not far away from the Royal Palace and the old city centre you can find this nice bar which gives you a beach ambiance in the middle of the city centr… read entire review
Warsaw