Capital of Catalonia

Barcelona Travel Blog

I was in Barcelona, Spain, for the eighteenth annual International Laser Physics Workshop (LPHYS'09) which was held from July 13 to July 17, 2009, in the World Trade Center Barcelona by the Institute of Photonic Sciences (Catalan: Institut de Ciències Fotòniques) - ICFO. I have to say it's an impressive city, but it's Big and Busy, and didn't really meet all the hype about how great it is for me. Sure, it's good, but not great really. I enjoyed the historic area as well as Las Ramblas in times I had free. The port area in Barcelona is quite nice too and very picturesque. Montjuic is one of the hills overlooking the city that offers a splendid respite from the Big and Busy ways and has some nice views of the port and the city below too, and something I really enjoyed.

Arrived (Suite View)
We had a conference dinner there one evening which was quite nice. Of course, I made a venture see Sagrada Familia too, and the crowds and cranes left me less than pleased. Impressive building, but I just had a bad vibe from being there. I don't like crowds, machines and scaffolds interfering with my experience. Sorry to say Barcelona just seemed like constant distraction in people & noise for me. Aside from that I found my stay in Barcelona satisfactory. There are moments in my life of travel where I stop dead in my tracks, look around, and take stock of where I am. Barcelona just fell short too many times for me, not just in expectations, but in realization too. I just didn't enjoy it that much and actually became annoyed with it after a time. It's certainly worth visiting, but it was a bit of a dissapointment to me. I never judge a place, just like I never judge people, so I am always open to different perspectives. For my time there I just didn't see the attraction for this place.

spocklogic says:
Barcelona was just one of those travel disappointments to me, and not really my cup of tea. It's ok and worth visiting, but it didn't live up to the hype and people raving about it. You did right basing in Madrid : )
Posted on: Dec 08, 2012
Vikram says:
Hmm... good view point. I visited Spain for the 1st time in my life (as you've probably gathered from reading my blog) and decieed to base myself in Madrid for all 6 days. I'm glad I did!
Posted on: Dec 08, 2012
spocklogic says:
The BIG & BUSY places are worth seeing, but they can be a bit overwhelming at times too. There are about 5 million people living in the Barcelona Metropolitan area, including the city & suburban limits. Only Paris, London, the Ruhr, Madrid and Milan have a larger urban population in the European Union.
Posted on: May 18, 2012
Arrived (Suite View)
Barcelona cityscape (Suite view 1)
Barcelona cityscape (Suite view 1)
Barcelona cityscape  (Suite View 2)
Barcelona cityscape (Suite View 2)
Visual Meal. Good lamb ribs too.
Visual Meal. Good lamb ribs too.
Outside World Trade Center (WTC)
Outside World Trade Center (WTC)
Inside WTC (Conference venue)
Inside WTC (Conference venue)
View of the port from WTC
Sagrada Familia
Sagrada Familia
Mediterranee Resturante
Mediterranee Resturante
Tasting menu (great meal)
Tasting menu (great meal)
Hotel Miramar (Conference dinner)
Hotel Miramar (Conference dinner)
Port of Barcelona at Hotel Miramar
Las Ramblas
Las Ramblas
Barcelona Hotels & Accommodations review
Convenient Quarters
This is a high rise hotel located at Avda. Roma, 2-4, 50 meters from the main train station (Sants Station). It is within walking distance of the city… read entire review
Barcelona Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Splendid Tasting Menu
I passed by this restaurant late one evening quite late looking for something a little different, but good quality. This restaurant is actually part o… read entire review
Barcelona Sights & Attractions review
A Relaxing Respite
Montjuic is one of the hills overlooking the city that offers a splendid respite from the big and busy ways of Barcelona. The gardens and views of the… read entire review
Barcelona