Capital of Catalonia

Barcelona Travel Blog

Barcelona poster

I was in Barcelona, Spain, for the eighteenth annual International Laser Physics Workshop (LPHYS'09) which was held from July 13 to July 17, 2009, in the World Trade Center Barcelona by the Institute of Photonic Sciences (Catalan: Institut de Ciències Fotòniques) - ICFO. I have to say it's an impressive sized city, but it's Big and Busy, and didn't really meet all the hype about how great it is for me. Sure, it's good, but not great really. I enjoyed the historic area as well as Las Ramblas in times I had free. The port area in Barcelona is quite nice too and very picturesque. Montjuic is one of the hills overlooking the city that offers a splendid respite from the Big and Busy ways and has some nice views of the port and the city below too, and something I really enjoyed.

Arrived (Suite View)
We had a conference dinner there one evening which was quite nice. Of course, I made a venture see Sagrada Familia too, and the crowds and cranes left me less than pleased. Impressive building, but I just had a bad vibe from being there. I don't like crowds, machines and scaffolds interfering with my experience. Sorry to say Barcelona just seemed like constant distraction in people & noise for me. Aside from that I found my stay in Barcelona satisfactory. There are moments in my life of travel where I stop dead in my tracks, look around, and take stock of where I am. Barcelona just fell short too many times for me, not just in expectations, but in realization too. I just didn't enjoy it that much and actually became annoyed with it after a time. It's certainly worth visiting, but it was a bit of a dissapointment to me.
City of Barcelona
I never judge a place, just like I never judge people, so I am always open to different perspectives. For my time there I just didn't see the attraction for this place.

UPDATE: I recently found some other photos of my Barcelona trip that were unpublished before. I have added them to the blog entry and just appended them to the earlier posted photos. This blog goes back some years with visits/smiles by jenniferhibbard, yasuyo, Caliber-A, Ilsertia, andrejav, sansan in 2012, and german_eagle, odiseaya (VT expats) more recently. Just some extra info for the update to members who may or may not have seen it before. \\// ~spocklogic / 2017

spocklogic says:
Thanks, Sanjeev, and there are some tree lined streets (an example shown in my 'City of Barcelona' photo - Carrer de Llança) which are pleasant, but too bad there aren't more streets like this in Barcelona.
Posted on: Apr 18, 2017
sanfoodie says:
Nicely explained. I believe most of the big cities around the world with lot of population have a different kind of madness in it. I like calm and peaceful places with lots of greenery around. Never saw a review of barcelona in this perspective.
Posted on: Apr 16, 2017
spocklogic says:
This place is urban sprawl at its worst, but I think if one sticks with certain areas of interest to visit, then the experience is improved. Wandering the streets in general is frustrating - they go on forever with not much to see but stores, cars, people - a lot of hustle, bustle and noise.
Posted on: Apr 16, 2017
City of Barcelona
Barcelona cityscape (Suite view 1)
Barcelona cityscape (Suite view 1)
Barcelona cityscape  (Suite View 2)
Barcelona cityscape (Suite View 2)
Visual Meal. Good lamb ribs too.
Visual Meal. Good lamb ribs too.
Outside World Trade Center (WTC)
Outside World Trade Center (WTC)
Inside WTC (Conference venue)
Inside WTC (Conference venue)
View of the port from WTC
Sagrada Familia
Sagrada Familia
Mediterranee Resturante
Mediterranee Resturante
Tasting menu (great meal)
Tasting menu (great meal)
Hotel Miramar (Conference dinner)
Hotel Miramar (Conference dinner)
Port of Barcelona at Hotel Miramar
Barcelona at night
Barcelona at night
Las Ramblas
Las Ramblas
Newly published photos follow here…
Newly published photos follow her…
Barcelona Sights & Attractions review
Gaudi's Gothic Monster
I made the venture to see Sagrada Familia, which seems a must do when in Barcelona. The crowds and cranes left me less than pleased. I don't like crow… read entire review
Barcelona Hotels & Accommodations review
Convenient Quarters
This is a high rise hotel located at Avda. Roma, 2-4, 50 meters from the main train station (Sants Station). It is within walking distance of the city… read entire review
Barcelona Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Splendid Tasting Menu
I passed by this restaurant late one evening quite late looking for something a little different, but good quality. This restaurant is actually part o… read entire review
Barcelona Sights & Attractions review
A Relaxing Respite
Montjuic is one of the hills overlooking the city that offers a splendid respite from the big and busy ways of Barcelona. The gardens and views of the… read entire review
Barcelona