The ship from New York

New York Travel Blog

Check-in was a hassle; Celebrity is not nearly as organized as Princess.

We got to the room, joined Frank & Pat in the Coral Seas Café for lunch, then went exploring and signed up for a helmet dive for Monday. We had made arrangements for a room in which to have Morning Prayer on Sunday morning. Since we wanted it to be open to anyone interested, we also stopped at the guest services desk to ask them to put a notice in the daily paper. We explored some more and, by prior arrangement, all met at the pool at 3:30 for a group photo. Also by prior arrangement, all of us had worn our aqua, embroidered "St.

Helen & Earl
Mark's Bermuda Cruise 2001" shirts. It made it easy to spot each other and looked great in the photo. A lot of people asked us who we were. Good PR, I guess!

After unpacking, we did the obligatory and painful lifeboat bit and were on deck for the promised 4:30 sailing but didn't get away until almost 5:00. We stayed on deck 'til past the Verrezano, returned to the cabin for a shower, then headed for the America's Cup Lounge for a drink. This was our first experience with what was to become a disappointing situation. The bar waitress brought us a drink, closed out our tab without asking and proceeded to ignore us! This in spite of the place being almost empty. We moved to the Rendezvous lounge and were ignored there, too, even though there were several waiters standing near the bar! With drinks priced at something other than a bargain price, I can't imagine why it's so difficult to get one! Apparently they don’t realize they make a lot of money on booze!  If I was running the show, I'd be pouring them down people's throats! The up side was that they had a nice two-piece group there called the Frank Duo.

Mom & Dad
One guy was on keyboard while the other played guitar and electric drums. We danced one number and were then joined by Eunice, Nila, Helen and Earl.

Went in to dinner in the Starlight Dining Room. There were eight at our table, Eunice & Nila, Helen & Earl, Pat & Frank and us. We had late seating while Mom & Dad had early so, obviously, we couldn't sit together. Our Assistant Maitre d', Josip (sic.) is from Croatia, our waiter, Oliver, is from Macedonia, the Assistant Waiter, Saed, is from Indonesia and the Sommelier, Ronald, is from Philippines. That crew turned out to be one of the very good things about the cruise. They were friendly and attentive without being bothersome. Linda's fish was great; my veal picatta was lousy. Walked on deck for a bit with Frank & Pat, then hit the rack.
Linda & me
Linda & me
The gang
"The gang"
Who would have thought they wouldn…
Who would have thought they would…
New York