Arrival in Hamilton

Hamilton Travel Blog

I hadn't set an alarm but woke just before the ship got under way in St. George's. We were already out of the harbor and headed for Hamilton by the time I got on deck. Photos were pretty poor due to haze and glare. Several folks had expressed interest in an evening sailing trip and I knew Mom & Dad would enjoy it so I called around and enticed my folks plus Helen and Earl, Frank & Pat, Eunice & Nila. Met them at the excursion desk and all of us got signed up. By the time we got that all squared away and got on deck for breakfast, we were already tied up in Hamilton.

We had planned on going to the beach but Linda's sunburn was still a bit tender so we opted for the dockyards. Called Eunice and asked her to join us since Nila was off playing golf.

The three of us walked to the ferry dock and bought three-day transportation passes. They cost $23 and cover both bus and ferry. We waited only a short time for the ferry to the dockyards. Nice ride out.

Walked around the fort and looked in at the glass factory where we bought a plate. Did a bit more shopping, then had some pretty lousy dry fish and chips. After lunch, we caught a bus to Somerset Village near Mangrove Bay. Next we walked the short distance to the ferry dock at Watford Bridge and caught a ferry back to Hamilton via the dockyards. On the walk back to the ship, we stopped for a drink at The Pickled Onion where a guy was playing jazz on steel pans. It was very enjoyable and I'd have liked to stay longer but it was getting late so off we went.

I stopped to check voicemail as Linda boarded the ship.

As I reached the room, Helen was entering. Turns out Linda had developed a rash on her back where she'd been experiencing pain since Thursday. Helen, a nurse practitioner, declared that it was shingles, just as Linda had feared. We knew it was essential for Linda to get anti-viral medication promptly so we called guest services and were told to go directly to the medical facility on deck 3. At our request, Helen went along and went in with Linda. The doctor was not inclined to believe it was shingles or to accept Helen's diagnosis. At Linda's and Helen's insistence, he gave her the anti-viral medicine but only enough for two days. He said we'd have to visit a dermatologist in Bermuda and to call the medical facility in the AM and they'd make an appointment.

Went back and cleaned up, then went with Helen & Earl for dinner in Flannigan's Pub on Front Street. After dinner, we met the group on the pier for the evening catamaran sail. The agent walked us down to near the ferry dock where we boarded the Aristo-cat, a 65 ft catamaran. I was discouraged at first as there were a lot of people on board but the crowding wasn't too bad. They had lots of foam pads to sit on all over the deck. We staked out a spot with Mom & Dad up forward. The sail was absolutely delightful and they have endless quantities of champagne that was surprisingly good. In the cabin, I met a guy who worked for the FAA out of NJ. He introduced me to a student pilot flying out of Greenwood lake, NJ and I talked to him for a long time.

As always, the wind picked up just as we reached the dock. Returned to the ship and ended up in the America's Cup. Nice evening but a bit depressing because of Linda's shingles.

Eunice & Linda
Eunice & Linda
Mom & Dad
Mom & Dad
Helen & Earl
Helen & Earl
Mom, Dad, Linda and me
Mom, Dad, Linda and me
More champagne for Frank, Pat, Nil…
More champagne for Frank, Pat, Ni…
Me