Fantastic Taiwan.

Taiwan Travel Blog

Taipei 101
It was 38 degrees when we stepped off the plane for five days of exploring a little bit of Taiwan. Scorching compared to Korea. Upon arriving downtown the first thing I was struck by were the amount of motorbikes on the road. They were every where; dozens at each red light, lined up along the sidewalks. It was quite the sight.

Taipei is a fantastic city. The metro is probably the nicest one I've ever seen with loads of signs in English and accurate time tables galore. And very, very clean. We arrived at our hostel in the afternoon and set off to find Taipei 101, the world's highest completed building. We arrived just after sunset and snapped a dozen pics before we'd even entered the building. 91 stories up and caught the last rays of the sun while the city below begin to explode in street lights.
Quite a panorama.

The next day we woke up early to try and watch some Tai Chi practicioners at the CSK Memorial two subway stops away. We found a few, but not the myriad of people we were expecting. We spent an hour or so walking around the beautiful grounds of the memorial. A really nice way to spend the morning.

Later, we took the metro to the very end of the line at Dahshui where we disembarked and spent a few hours walking along the sea and up through the alleys and old streets doing some shopping. Upon returning, we checked out the Longshuan temple back near Central Taipei and had a delicious Chinese meal from a small restaurant.

The next morning we took a 3 hour train ride to Hualien, a city on the Eastern part of the country and the gateway to the country's most famed natural treasure, Taroko Gorge.
Ji and I rented our own scooter that afternoon and spent an hour riding along scenic Highway 11 to Jici Beach where we spent a couple of hours relaxing and enjoying the waves and sand.

We headed to Taroko the next morning and had a great time riding through the gorge taking in the myriad of beautiful views, pagodas, and temples. It was a fascinating place and certainly worth the visit from Taipei.

Back to Taipei that evening and we sought out a last meal that we couldn't get in Korea; that was a double bacon cheeseburger from Burger King for me and a very nice carbonara pasta from an Italian restaurant for Ji.

In all, we had a really great time and had far more adventures than can be related in a single blog. Needless to say, I'm really pleasantly surprised by Taiwan and can't recommend it enough as a tourist destination. I could easily spend a few more weeks there taking in all the things I didn't have time for this go around, and hope i get that chance in the future.
klaartje1968 says:
So wonderful to read, I recognize a lot of things of what you are writing :)
Posted on: Aug 24, 2009
Vanessa_Mun_Yee says:
We just came back from Taipei yesterday. This was the second trip, we love Taiwan. We went on their well-marked trails in YangMinShan, it was fantastic! There are so many other trails to explore! We ate at the night market every night!
Posted on: Aug 24, 2009
poohstanggt says:
You are much more brave than I am when it comes to the scooters! LOL. I've lived here almost 3 months and haven't even braved driving yet...let my fiance do that! :-)

You definitely have to come back and see so much more. If you liked Taroko, you need to check out Yehliu Geopark which is closer to Taipei - I thought the rock formations there was insane...never seen anything like it before!
Posted on: Aug 10, 2009
Cruising through Taroko Gorge.
Top looking down. Dueling staircas…
Top looking down. Dueling stairca…
Down looking up. Dueling staircase…
Down looking up. Dueling staircas…
From 91 stories up.
From 91 stories up.
CSK Memorial grounds.
Jici Beach, south Hualien.
Jici Beach, south Hualien.
Taroko Gorge.