Very impressed by the Mexican Venice!

Mexico City Travel Blog

Xochimilco trajineras

And this is how the adventure starts. I woke up very early today to take my flight to Houston and then to Mexico City. Everything went out as planned. I couldn’t sleep very well the night before because my advisor had me working until late, but I guess the excitement of the trip took over because I wasn’t feeling tired at all! Since I had 12 hrs before my flight to Santiago, I had agreed to meet with my TravBuddy Toño at the airport of Mexico City, and so we did. From the very beginning I knew it was going to be a great day. I had never been to Xochimilco (a series of canals where you can rent a small boat –trajinera- for a tour –often the place has been called the Mexican Venice), so I was very excited that we would go. As soon as we arrived there I knew it would be great.

With Toño in Xochimilco
There were dozens of colorful boats available and not a lot of people. After arranging the price (and bargaining a bit), we got ourselves “Viva Lolita” and a six of corona beers. The tour was amazing. Not only for Toño’s great sense of humor but also for everything about the trip. We had a mariachi band riding on a Trajinera next to us sing some Mexican song for us. Toño honored me so much by picking a song from the north of the country, which is where I am from.

After so much fun in Xochimilco, time for lunch had arrived, but we still had another activity before that. Toño suggested we visited the Dolores Olmedo Museum, which contained not only the personal art collection of Dolores Olmedo, a Mexican philanthropist, but also some of the most important paintings from Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera.

Museo Dolores Olmedo
For me that sounded awesome. Unfortunately we were only able to take pictures on the outside, so I will not be able to show you the paintings that I saw. I had known Frida’s work for some time, but I was still very impressed to see the original of some of her work. I am not a big fan, but I have to admit that her paintings are tremendously emotional, sometimes even in a disturbingly way.

In the outside of the museum you could see several Xoloitzcuintles –the Aztec dog, and only dog species originary from North America. They are black, thin and hairless, and were pretty impressive to see! Aztecs used to eat them, and some ppl says that they are still eaten unnoticedly by the customers of some taquerias in the area… -just kidding of course-.

Coyoacán!
There were also Peafowls, they were beautiful and impressive! And they were walking among the people! I thought they would be scared when I approached to take a picture, but they seem to be pretty used to humans. We had lunch in the restaurant of the museum. The prices were really cheap and we were extremely hungry. We both ordered enchiladas, and they were just incredibly tasty. Don’t know if it is because I hadn’t had real enchiladas in a long time, but I think they are close to be the best enchiladas I have ever had!

After that, we went to Coyoacán, one of the most picturesque delegations of Mexico City. We took several pictures there, enjoyed the delicious weather and I had some snacks and Toño dinner. Food is never a problem in Mexico! Then Toño brought me back to the airport so I could catch my flight to Santiago. I had a great time in Mexico City! What a great way to take advantage of a layover!  Now, here I go, South America!

patirkc_AAA says:
Never miss out on the Archaeological Museum in Mexico City. It's simply amazing!
Posted on: Nov 19, 2015
montecarlostar says:
haha well believe me, they were not the wierdest animal I saw over there, did you see the picture with the black hairless dogs? ewwwwww those ARE disgusting, it's like a mix of mammal and reptile... no wonder the aztecs ate them instead of pet them :P
Posted on: Apr 02, 2012
lieka84 says:
They are bigger then a chicken and they have a beck :p Don't ask more....I ' m weird hehe
Posted on: Apr 02, 2012
With a corona beer
With a corona beer
Viva Lupita!
Viva Lupita!
Museum
Museum
Just before the Frida Kahlo exhibi…
Just before the Frida Kahlo exhib…
Before the Frida Kahlo exhibition
Before the Frida Kahlo exhibition
Coyote statue
Coyote statue
Aztec pieces
Aztec pieces
At the patio of the museum
Eating some wonderful enchiladas!
Eating some wonderful enchiladas!
A glance of the aztec stadium
Coyoacán square
Coyoacán square
Mexico City Sights & Attractions review
Definitively a place to visit if you like Frida Kahlo
This museum features an interesting collection of Frida Kahlo's paintings. This museum is located in the house of Dolores Olmedo, a personal frien… read entire review