New York City - Adventure Day 1

New York Travel Blog

New York City August 2007 Adventure

This is my adventure of a trip I did in August 2007, I did a trip for a few days to the Big Apple, New York City. This is one city I had been mean to go to for a long time.

Friday, August 2007.

Today get up early as I have an early morning flight to start my journey to New York City.

I am flying with Air Canada this morning fly connecting flights in Toronto, then onto New York City.

Take off from Thunder Bay via Air Canada Jazz without any problems. The hour and forty minute flight to Toronto is quite smooth, on board I get my feast of Coca-Cola and some crackers.

neat building again
Service was good with the attendants and flight was quite smooth.

We land at Pearson International Airport in Toronto and it’s a smooth landing. I proceed to get my bags again and proceed through US Immigration. Going through Immigration is very smooth and uneventful process.

I get on my main flight with Air Canada about 2 hours later. Prior to my wait, I have some chips and pop in the airport as a way to be a cheat. Flying to New York city was good, I have my own personal TV to watch movies and shows at my seat. I watch a few episodes from Discovery Channel.

Funny thing happened here, I look over at the guy sitting next to me and he on his TV is watching a Documentary about the events of 9/11. Probably not the best thing to watch when your flying into New York City. All well, makes it all the more interesting experience.

We arrive to NYC and I get my first view of the city, from rules now planes can not fly directly over the city, they must circle around. I get a nice view of the city, seeing lower Manhattan and Statue of Liberty, Quite amazing view from here.

The plane lands at La Guardia Airport without any problems, I get my bag and depart the airport. The view of the skyline of New York City from here is breathtaking, I can not wait to get into the city.

I get my bags and then head off to the taxi stands outside to get into the city. I get notice about what taxis to get as some are abet sketchy to take here. It is a good ride into the city and I see the NYC traffic people talk about. AS well all of these funny traffic signs here. The fare is quite reasonable and I Get to my hotel, Park Savoy Hotel which was a block from Central Park.

I am so excited I forgot to tip my cab driver, as he gave me a funny look when he left.

I get to my room and text msg a few people I am supposed to meet up with tonight for a baseball game. I am going to Yankee Stadium and see the New York Yankees go against the Detroit Tigers, quite exciting.

I get a message from my friend Harold who is from Australia, met from Travbuddy I believe. We set up a time to meet and location and meet up with girl named Hannah and 2 other people who are locals in NYC.

It is only afternoon right now so I have a few hours to explore before this evening. My first thing on my agenda. Is to go check out the famous Central Park. It looks really neat and its seems so big. The park has a huge field where people go and relax. It is almost a different world here as you see the trees then the tall buildings in the backdrop.

I walk through the park and see the famous hot dog vendors you hear about in NYC. I see the Yellow Taxis of NYC as well some famous landmarks I Have seen on TV.

I walk in the park for a few hours and it is so neat to see and experience. I then make my way in to city again. By this time it starts to rain and rain hard. The second it started to rain, all of these umbrella sales people appeared out of nowhere. I buy one for about 2 bucks from some guy, a good bargain and umbrella.

I walk past the famous Trump tower and many other famous and important buildings. It is in this area, I meet up with my Travbuddies to make it to the game tonight. I meet Harold, Hannah and some local guy and girl. WE get on to the subway and are with many other Yankee fans just follow them to the stadium.

We make it to the stadium and walk around it for a while to check it out.

Yankee Stadium!!
I remember seeing it all the time on the Seinfeld show.

It is quite amazing to be here as they are tearing it down in 2009 so this is the last straw.

We get to our seats, in 2nd level in left field. Not bad, but just go for the experience. I have chocolate bar from Harold they he bought, it is a nice Kit Kat, really good.

The game starts its with Yankees vs. Tigers, the stadium is full.

It is a really good game and nice to see baseball live again. Harold is in texting with his friends and there are empty seats by home plate side. So later in game, we walk over to that side without question and take on some really good seats. Now the party begins.

During the game, there are a few home runs and many cheers, this is the best stadium in all of baseball.

It was a great night at the game.

first view from our seats

Once the game ended we waited till everyone was out of the park. Then made 2 subway rides to get to another area of the Bronx. Here I hitch a ride with them and return into lower Manhattan. Driving at night we go through Harlem area and it does not seem like a safe place you want to be in, especially after dark.

It was very long day and I make it back to my hotel safe and sounds. Say good bye to my friends as they leave late tonight to go home. Off to bed and ready for my adventure tomorrow. Stay tuned.

allanreyb says:
am excited! will be going here during the Christmas holidays
Posted on: Nov 22, 2010
sueannepuzon says:
I will have to see NY in the near future! Nice pics!
Posted on: Aug 09, 2009
acowboy says:
NYC is truly a special place...
Posted on: Aug 08, 2009
kiosks
kiosks
view of the NYC from Park
view of the NYC from Park
nice open field with skyline in ba…
nice open field with skyline in b…
a quiet zone, shh!!
a bit green
a bit green
project in the park
project in the park
scene from Movie Ghostbusters!
scene from Movie Ghostbusters!
hot dogs anyone?
wow
wow
a building
a building
on route to Yankees Games, With Ha…
on route to Yankees Games, With H…
sight of the new stadium
when we switched sides
when we switched sides
good seats
good seats
end of game - Go Yankees!!
end of game - Go Yankees!!
Bronx
Bronx
outside after the game
outside after the game
proof of being at Yankee Stadium
proof of being at Yankee Stadium
A good Irish Pub Viewing Brooklyn
Icame to this pub after a long day of sightseeing and walking when I Was in New York City. Located in the Pier 17 of South Street Seaport. I Was a … read entire review
"delightfully tacky yet unrefined
Well It is a famous Franchise. I will talk about Hooters Manhattan. Not a bad place. Your typical place for good wings and beer. The clientele is pre… read entire review
A Great Taste of a Pizza
Later one night when in NYC . I made it to this Famiglia Pizza. I did not have any idea of what type of place it was. I just went into randomly as jus… read entire review
New York