Watching the sunset from Mt. Lemmon with Travbuddy Row-zzzzz

Mt. Lemmon Travel Blog

My Canadian travbuddy friend Roselle ( and I decided to visit Mt. Lemmon after our tour and hike at Sabino Canyon. Along the way we got lost (talk of being directionally challenged). Well we finally stopped and asked for directions from a convenience store " Rosy went in and I asked a customer who had just come out of the store. Together we had great direction to the mountain ha-ha-haaa! As we drove to the mountain Rosy kept flashing her camera each step of the way, she must have taken over two thousand photos during her short stay in Tucson. We began our ascension up the mountain from the foothills of the Catalina Mountains north of Tucson, but did not get to the top of the hill known as Mt.

Lemmon. We stopped at about six thousand feet were we watched the most beautiful sun set of my life. If only for a moment, I forgot all about the chill of the evening as the sun glowed, it's fires so strong it compared to nothing words could describe. Mt. Lemon also written as Mt. Lemmon, stands 9,000 feet above sea level, it is set against a backdrop of many cacti and the desert sand. A rare thing in the dry desert of Arizona. It is said that during the spring season, the colors around the mountain are something to see. I will make it a point to go back and visit when the seasons change.

Rosy and I drove up the mountains at a speed limit of 25 miles an hour going through winding curves and changing scenery.

We rose from a little of 1000 ft to 6000 ft before we stopped to watch the sun set. Along the way we noticed that the desert plants and wildlife co-exist and below we could see the metropolitan city of Tucson limits. Saguaro cati in abundance dominate the backdrop of the mountain ranges. The rock colors change gradually as one ascends to higher altitude. There is such power in the gaze of the sun along the hill sides, nothing words can accurately describe . . . these are times when I find the English language is inadequate in describing feelings.

I believe time was the limiting factor for Rosy and I on this beautiful day. We would have loved to explore more of the mountain ranges for all that it had to offer. But the sun began setting over the horizon and the evening chill crept in making the both of us shake.(well more like me since Rosy is used to the Canadian cold). Well, all the reason to return again I guess, lol!

Africancrab says:
Thanks Daniel, how is the going?
Posted on: Dec 21, 2009
daniel_jetsetter says:
Congrats on your feature!
Posted on: Dec 20, 2009