Talkeetna

Talkeetna Travel Blog

Talkeetna became one of my favorite towns in Alaska when I was a student there in the winter and spring of 2001. It's a little blip of a town that you wouldn't go to unless you intended to. In the summer it has things like the Moose Dropping festival and is jumping with tourists. I believe that it's the starting off point for expeditions to climb Mt. McKinley. It also boasts one of the finest views of the mountain on a clear day. Unfortunately it wasn't a clear day this time around. I have some fabulous pictures of the mountain from Talkeetna that I'll have to dig up and scan in one of these days.

This excursion into Talkeetna was a lot of fun for me. I had a friend I had met in college at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire who had been working for a year or so in Talkeetna as a dentist. It was great to meet up with her for dinner at a pizza place in town. I later met up with my old roommate from my time on exchange at the University of Alaska-Anchorage who drove up from Anchorage to see me. It was great to see them both. Then it was back onto the bus and to the rainy lodge about 45 minutes down the road.
Welcome to Talkeetna