Scenic Cruising

Glacier Bay National Park Travel Blog

Glacier Bay is one of the most fabulous natural areas I've ever seen.  I was aboard a Princess Cruise ship as we sailed through Glacier Bay.  I do believe that you can't see any of this National Park by land, but don't quote me on that.

Having spent a fair amount of time in Alaska during my life prior to this cruise I had seen glaciers a number of times.  Near Seward, in fact, you can walk right up to Exit Glacier and climb on it, look closely, etc.  The blue coloring of glaciers makes these massive ice flows stunningly beautiful.  Glacier Bay, as the name suggests, is filled with glaciers.  This can tend to be a bit of a slow kind of day on a cruise ship as it's nothing but scenic cruising.  But there's something fabulous about seeing and hearing a glacier as it calves and falls into the sea.  There's something calming about hearing the chunks of ice floating in the sea around the cruise ship as they crackle.

Our day of scenic cruising was capped off, sort of, by the sighting of a bear or two on the shore.  Of course you could barely see them with the naked eye and couldn't see much of them with binoculars.  But it was certainly a bear.  I had never seen a bear in the wild, and while I still haven't seen one up close I'm not entirely sure I'd want to.

Glacier Bay National Park