Start in Fairbanks

Fairbanks Travel Blog

The Trans-Alaskan Pipeline
My parents had been wanting to do an Alaskan cruise for years, and after a cruise to the Mediterranian Sea with much of the family they decided that the best way to do Alaska would be for the entire family to go with us. My parents had 6 kids, so there's 8 in the immediate family, plus a wife of my older brother. It was quite a large group. I flew in from Austin, Texas while the rest of the family flew in together from Wisconsin and we met up at the Fairbanks airport. My older brother was making his first appearance in Alaska, which marked the 50th state that he had visited.

We spent the first evening getting settled in at the Princess Riverside Lodge, which is the hotel owned and operated by Princess Cruises, which was the cruise company we'd be using once we got to Whittier for embarkation. The next day we went on a riverboat cruise down the Tanana River. This cruise led us past a dog kennel that belonged to a local Iditarod champion who had recently passed away and then to an Alaska Native area where we saw a few demonstrations of various native rituals, clothing, fishing and hunting techniques, etc.
A native Alaskan presentation
A native Alaskan presentation
Dog sledder
Dog sledder
Fairbanks Hotels & Accommodations review
Princess hotels and cruises are very well done and they make things very comfortable for all those who stay there. A few on-site restaurants and bars… read entire review
Fairbanks