A few days in paradise

Maui Travel Blog

I have been very fortunate in that a number of my friends from college moved off to locations all throughout the United States that I was interested in visiting. My friend Elizabeth moved to Maui for a few years and I took full advantage of the chance to get out and see her while I could. Nothing like a free couch to sleep on for 4 or 5 days.

While in Maui we got all the way around the island and I saw just about as much as I could possibly see, except for the sunrise at Haleakala volcano. Even though I've heard it's jaw-droppingly beautiful to see it, I wasn't too disappointed because I certainly didn't pack well enough to endure the conditions nor did I really want to be getting out of bed as early as I had to. It was vacation, afterall.

I went golfing at Kapaula resort, which is the location of the first PGA Tour event of the year. I went snorkeling at Kaanapali Beach and saw some sea turtles, and Elizabeth and her boyfriend took me all over the island when we drove the Hana Highway. We took the back road back from Hana, which is an experience. Much of it is unpaved and single lane and got a bit tenuous on the curves, especially at night, and whenever there was a car coming in the other direction. We picked up at least 3 hitchhikers on the way up and down. Good times.
168 km (104 miles) traveled