Buffalo: Famous for wings and............

Buffalo Travel Blog

Every year in April my mom, sister, brother, and sister-in-law travel to wherever the NCAA Hockey tournament's Frozen Four is played. The year it was in Buffalo had its ups and downs, as all trips tend to have. It is hard to complain when the connecting flight in Chicago is oversold and I quickly make my way up to the desk and secure a voucher for future travel. I do love free travel.

I was a little surprised when I got into downtown Buffalo at how deserted it all seemed to be. It was kind of depressing in a way with businesses boarded up and few people around. It proved to be fairly problematic because tickets to the Frozen Four on semi-final day allow for a little time between games to get out and grab a bite to eat or something to drink. I think there was one or two restaurants even open in the downtown area near the stadium. They were a bit overwhelmed for the event, I think.

These weekends always have a free-Friday without games. We took full advantage of this to go to Orchard Park to see where the Buffalo Bills play and to grab a bite to eat at a sports bar near the stadium. Beef on Weck is a fantastic sandwich that I have tried to recreate at home (With varying degrees of success). We also spent one of our meals at The Anchor Bar, which is where the Buffalo Wing was born.

I can't remember who won the hockey tournament that year, but it was a good time as always. I do hope good things happen to the downtown area in Buffalo. It needs help.
montecarlostar says: