The unmissable wonders of rose-red city Petra

Petra Travel Blog

The legendary 1.2 km As-Siq leading to Al-Khazneh petra
Back in Amman, the hostel that I stayed had arranged private excursion to Madaba. I was planning to overnight in Madaba because there were quite a few things to do and to see in the north part of Jordan. One of them was floating in the Dead Sea.

In the morning Yousef the taxi driver agreed for 20 Dinar, he brought me to Mount Nebo- where Moses is said to have seen the Promised Land, the Dead Sea on the way and to Madaba-the relax town known for collection of Byzantine era mosaics.

While he showed me around, he convinced me that all that sights and activity can be done in couple of hours and for additional 60 Dinar he eagerly persuaded me straight to Petra.
Glimpse of Al-Khazneh
80 dinar was quite a lot and I negotiated if it’s 70 dinar together with stopover to other sites along the way, I would be willing to consider it. He counter negotiates and finally we agreed it was 70 dinar.On the way he stopped in Wadi Mujib Nature Reserve, Kerak Castle (Crusader Castle).

Another anticipated hassle in finding hostel but in the end it was better than when I was in Syria. The Lonely Planet guide says there were quite a few hostel in Wadi Musa town , 2 km from Petra and I finally checked in into Valentine Inn Hostel. I was in hesitation to stay there as the name itself bears the tackiness of being a sleazy backpacker hostel. However travelling in Jordan wasn't cheap so I sucked it up as the rate in Valentine hostel was pretty cheap and I ended up staying there for 2 nights.
The lost city of Petra Jordan. Unmissable world's wonder.

In the morning the exploration of The Lost city of Petra begun. The ancient rose-red city of the Nabateans, Arabs who controlled the trade routes of the region pre-Roman times. It was rediscovered by accident in 1812 by a Swiss explorer( the same chap who stumbled on the Temple of Abu Simble in Egypt).The spectacular sandstone city of Petra was approached through the legendary 1.2km long, high-sided As-Siq. A rock landmass canyon-like, that has been rent apart by tectonic forces. Just when I thought there’s no end to the Siq, I caught breathtaking glimpses ahead of Petra’s sights, the Treasury, known locally as Al-Khazneh. The astounding facades were carved out of the rock. Indiana Jones the Last Crusade made this site famous for where it being film.

It was truly one of my travel highlight so far. And its official, Petra is now one of the new Seven Wonders of the World. I’m glad that I was here before it became too touristic with truck load of tourist. Although it’s already became tourist hotspot, I still could find the spot where there’s nobody else and pretending the whole city was for me. Feeling a bit like an explorer. However there’s obvious new development around Wadi Musa and near Petra to boost the tourism in Jordan. Petra is Jordan biggest trade right now and years to come.

Travbuddy.com
herman_munster says:
The tone of my comment below is a bit rude so pardon me but actually naj81 is my friend in real life so I'm teasing him.
Posted on: Sep 11, 2009
herman_munster says:
Naj81 it's not combination and not an old building. It's Facade carved on rock :)
Posted on: Sep 11, 2009
naj81 says:
Truly magnificent...luv the combination of rocks with the old building architecture
Posted on: Sep 06, 2009
The legendary 1.2 km As-Siq leadin…
The legendary 1.2 km As-Siq leadi…
Glimpse of Al-Khazneh
The lost city of Petra Jordan. Unm…
The lost city of Petra Jordan. Un…
1.2 km long As-Siq