It was ' rooftop matress'

Hama Travel Blog

women hitch-hiking 3-wheels pick up truck
Private taxi excursion by Mohammad arranged by our hostel in Aleppo continued to Hama. For 4500 Syrian Pound (€75) or 1500(€25) each we were driven along an exciting Syrian landscape, from small villages, shepherds to Syrian women hitchhiking local 3 wheels pick-up.

The Italian couple we met in Aleppo was in Hama days earlier and stayed in Hotel Cairo so we got recommendation from them to stay there.Arriving in Hotel Cairo in Hama without any booking, the hostel manager brought me up to the building’s rooftop for a teaser what sort of accommodation was still available.

It was ‘ rooftop matress’.

The term that major hostel used in Middle Eastern and North African countries.
Norias- The Waterwheel
It’s basically a mattress on the floor accommodating large open area on the roof. I’ve never done this before but it seemed really cool. There were nearly 20 mattresses taken by other backpackers. It costs 200 Syrian pound ( 3€ ) per night.

Arriving just before sunset we only had an hour before it turn dark and we had to depart early next morning to Crac Des Chevaliers and Homs.

So we spent the whole evening wandering Hama town. The town that famous of wooden ‘norias’ ( water wheels) throughout the Middle east. This Norias ( up to 20m in diameter) have graced the town for centuries. Because both the water wheels and the blocks of which they are mounted are wooden, the friction when they turn produces a mournful groaning. There have been Norias in Hama since at least 4th century AD. They are 30 of them and only 17 norias survive.
Hama in the morning

For the last 2 days in Syria I hadn’t had a proper meals. My stomach always feeling dodgy right after meals. It’s not just me as I mingled with fellow travelers they faced the same. Everyone that not used to hawker food would likely felling sick of Syrian food. Myself included.

My utmost experience was the friendliest nation that Syria have but the food didn’t do it for me.

Sick of going to the toilet and screaming belly I suggested to Jose and Amaia to have bbq chicken in one of the restaurant because it seems harmless. It was serves with rice, salad and humus. I noticed the Syrian family seating next to our table was paying attention of what we were talking during the meals. The guy even offered us cigarettes after meals. It’s true Syrian best asset is its people that warm and friendly towards travelers.

They probably just want to practice their English.

Back to hotel, the roof mattresses were occupied by most travelers. There were Japanese backpackers that thought I was from Nepal. They saw my backpack brand of Kathmandu and immediately thought I’m Nepalese! Too funny that when I laughed about that, other backpackers that heard the conversation were laughing too.

It was really cool sleeping in this sort of accommodation. That’s a large opportunity in meeting similar minded travelers. Lorenze from Italy and Adam from Hungary were also on their Middle-East trip heading to Damascus.

travbuddy.com
herman_munster says:
It was and can't wait for next trip.
Posted on: Sep 09, 2009
women hitch-hiking 3-wheels pick u…
women hitch-hiking 3-wheels pick …
Norias- The Waterwheel
Hamas famous attractions- the Nor…
Hama's famous attractions- the No…
Mosque