She's IMMORTAL !

Damascus Travel Blog

'Shai'
‘…..no recorded event has occurred in the world but Damascus was in existence to receive news of it. Go back as far as you will into the vague past, there was always a Damascus…She has looked upon the dry bones of a thousand empires and will see the tomb of a thousand more before she dies….To Damascus, years are only moment, decades are only flitting trifles of times. She measures time, not by days and months and years, but by empires she has seen rise, and prosper and crumble to ruin. She is a type of immortality.’

Mark Twain, The Innocent Abroad, 1869

Arriving in the night in Damascus without any hostel reservation was eventful as my thought of there must be availabities was completely wrong.
Syrian
I dragged my back from one hotel to another at the suggested budget area by Lonely Planet.

Where were this all tourist and backpackers came from? All popular budget option even for ‘roof matress’ were not available.

It has been 2 hours searching for one until finally I stopped at midrange hotel infront of Citadel.

The next morning I strolled down to Damascus main sight which were all in Old City , mostly. It is surrounded by what was initially Roman Wall. Next to the Citadel is the entrance to main covered market, the souq Al-Hamidiyya with a vault of corrugated iron roofing blocks.Constructed in the late 19th century and some of the vault has bullet holes left by the machine-gun fire by French plane during the nationalist rebellion.The sunlight that penetrates through them makes it more interesting.
The Souq Al-Hamidiyya. Sunlight penetrates through bullet holes left by French plane gun-fire.

After a week of no internet, I found the internet and check emails, an updated my blog and all the sudden the power went off the whole Damascus possibly entire Syria. It was power saving during summer months that every one hour every week the power has to shut-down. I sampled what Damascus famous of - the ice cream and yourgurt.The ice-cream made with sahlab ( a topioca-root flavoured drink)and topped with crushed pistachios nuts, it's a souq-shopping must. I had 2 of them as they were great ! The souq leads to Umayyad Mosque, the most beautiful mosque in Syria and one of the holiest Mosque in the world for Muslim.

One and half days was enough in Damascus. I made my way to bus station for Amman. Felt surpired as I was meeting Massimo and wife again at the bus station. They were on their way to Bosra south of Damascus near Jordanian Border.
Sampling the ice-cream
It was even funnier that they were in Palmyra too the day before. Jose Luis, Amaia and I were there but we didn't bump into them. And they stayed in the same hostel with Jose and Amaia in Palmyra when I headed off to Damascus the night before.

Passing Jordanian border that my thought of not needing a visa was wrong as it turned out I need one. And I didn't have Dinar exchanged yet. For 10JD I paid €10 which I should get back €2 return but I let it go. They were Dutch couple getting their visa too and we were talking about our journey in Middle east to kill the time. Their insight about Middle East is alot better than South East Asia trip particularly Indonesia that they went a year ago. It was such a terrible experience to them that everyone there was treating them like a walking wallet. One of bad experience was someone just talk to them like showing the direction and then forcing them to pay money. They didn't do anything like carrying luggage or anything but threatening for a tip.

Shai
'Shai'
Syrian
The Souq Al-Hamidiyya. Sunlight pe…
The Souq Al-Hamidiyya. Sunlight p…
sampling the yourgurt