Around Sultanahmet

Istanbul Travel Blog

basillica cistern
After having our basic Turkish breakfast which was egg, cucumber,some bread and butter, we strolled down Sultanahmet  area. The top 3 sight in Istanbul located here where the Blue Mosque and Haghia Sophıa are side by side. At the other end is Topkapi Palace.

I went inside Hagia Sophia last time and again this tıme. Nothing is changing. There was still steel scafoldıng from floor to the top of the dome. I dont get it why the preservation and restoration works take so many years. To be honest it spoilts the grandeurness of columnless space and for 20 Lira ıts tottally not worth it.

The Blue Mosque beside it is much better and nicer however. And ıts free entrance. Its one of the most beautiful Mosque ın the world. Later we went to Topkapi Palace. The view from the Palace towards Sea of Marmara was incredible and we could see the Asian side of Istanbul across Bosphorus Straıts too. The Dolmus picked me up from the hostel to the maın Busstation later for further overnight bus to Selcuk.

Travellers that contrıbuted to the journey; Andrea, Francesco, Dario and Nadine.
herman_munster says:
yep I like seeing details
Posted on: Aug 27, 2009
YantiSoeparno says:
I notice from your photos that you are interested in the details, Amin. Your architect mind affects you ;D
Posted on: Aug 20, 2009
inside Haghia Sofia
inside Haghia Sofia
Wish Column. People still believe …
Wish Column. People still believe…
From upper level