Aqaba Eilat 6 km Apart

Aqaba Travel Blog

Gulf of Aqaba

The temperature was unbearably hot. For the past weeks from Turkey to Syria to Jordan, I was entering from hot to super hoottt and I was about to enter Egypt - unsurpassed hotness! Being the geographical location, it is not advisable travelling in Middle East in August. Never in a million years I would go here should I know this temperature but at the time of planning I’d decided these were the route to home that I never flying back to the UK.

Arriving Aqaba, the relaxed small town atmosphere of popular, local holiday destination, I took a taxi to Darna Village Beach Hoste pre-booked located 12 km from downtown Aqaba at the public beach. Along the seaside highway I could see Eilat in Israel with white high-rise blocks overlooking the Gulf of Aqaba.
Sunset in Aqaba
This corner is strange enough as you can cross 3 countries even by walking in an hour - Taba in Egypt, Eilat in Israel and Aqaba in Jordan; all three are wedged in the corner of the Gulf of Aqaba.

It said ‘mixed dorm’ in the booking website but it turns out to be an open air ‘poolside lounges mattress’. A misleading description that I had a little argument with the hostel operator. For €10 under the tent by the poolside, it’s rather expensive! It could be only €3 in Syria but this is Jordan. A double bed cost only €20/person so any sane person would agree with me. Staying in ‘rooftop mattress’ in Hama, Syria was a new experience and for this, this is for the better.

Great location in context of the beach as its only 100m in front of the seaside and beautiful view from the pool but poor being far from downtown Aqaba.
My poolside mattress under the tent.
I deserve a day of doing nothing but enjoying the sea after a very long walk in Petra. If you care a little adventure in hitchhiking, this place is for you. No public transport and taxi cost you 2 meals in comparison.

It was my first experience hitch-hiking to Aqaba downtown for dinner that night. Spent hours in downtown and exchanged some euro for my ferry trip to Nuweiba the next day.

Back in the hostel only me accommodating in common poolside area. The other guest rooms were behind and they gathered around for dinner meal infront of my sleeping territory. While I was lying down reading I was approached by 4 Jewish teenagers asking me if I know how to play guitar. This kind of experience is what I was looking for while travelling. Although I don’t how to play guitar ( I can play but surely not what they want to hear haha), we ended up talking for hours while playing poker. They were from Tel Aviv travelling to Sinai. It was fun. They felt sorry of my sleeping condition (for €10 expensive that is) with improper utility ie toilet etc. that they offered to used their bathroom. Hadar, Karen and the other 2 boys, if you reading this please contact me haha.

The next morning I left the hostel to Aqaba Ferry Terminal.

herman_munster says:
Hahaha. I was speaking by means of distant comparison. I'm sure you're right it will be a lot longer passing through 2 border security LOL.
Posted on: Sep 04, 2009
vances says:
Not so sure you can walk from Jordan-to-Israel-to-Egypt that quickly....did you factor in time to pass through border security not once, but twice, lol?

:^)
Posted on: Sep 04, 2009
Sunset in Aqaba
My poolside mattress under the ten…
My poolside mattress under the te…
Unbearable heat
Unbearable heat
Slept by the poolside
Slept by the poolside
Seaside
Seaside
Aqaba
Bonefire or dancing by the beach?
Bonefire or dancing by the beach?
Early morning
Early morning
Snorkelling
Snorkelling
Darna Village Beach Hostel
Darna Village Beach Hostel
Aqaba Hostels review
Beautifully located with 180 degree sea view by the pool. Only a short walk to public beach.
photo by: vances