The peace on the beach

Santo Andre Travel Blog

The beautiful beach of Santo André in Portugal

One of the first things I did after I arrived in Santiago do Cacem and having checked in to the hotel was to rush for the beach in Santo Andre. I could not wait to see the beach and the Atlantic Ocean from there because I had not been there in two years.

There are so many things I like about this beach. First of all you are almost alone there and if you want to be alone you can just walk 500 metres and the you are all for yourself; it is like being on a secluded island. The sand or shells are pretty rough which means that even though it is quite windy at the beach the most of the time, there is no sand blowing around. It is very clear that most of the sand is shells that have been broken down over the years and these tiny pits of shell get quite easily stuck on you and therefore you end up carrying these small small pieces around also after you leave the beach.

Flowers of the beach

The water is really cold but it is very nice, when you have been lying there for some hours. The water can be dangerous here because of the waves. I have been thrown around in the water many times, it is fun but you have to take care. All this might not sound like the best but sitting the sound of the water, the wind and looking towards the horizon is for me really energizing. Most of the other people who visit this beach are Portuguese and the always bring windbreakers which they put around them. I would never do that, I would rather be a bit cold in the wind than blocking the wonderful view surrounding me.

The temperature at the beach is always up to 5-10 degrees colder than in inland due to the cold water. This means that you have to take care because you don't feel the power of the sun.

The beautiful beach of Santo Andr…
The view I longed for