Just another afternoon

Santo Andre Travel Blog

Lonely roads to Santo André

I had spent most of the time around midday on the beach after a late breakfast. It was just passed 3pm and I felt like something else well I also deserved a cold beer; I thought. I drove into Santo André taking the dust road. I don’t know if it is a road, there is a sign but my GPS don’t know it and there is a lot of sand which you can get stuck in if you don’t take care.

I think I have written this before but I don’t care much about this city there is something wrong or something gloomy about it. I can’t put my mind to what it is. I drove around in this summer ghost town; it is very dry here and all the houses are painted white and you very rarely meet anybody.

A natural forrest
When I drove around looking for a bar or a cafe where I could sit outside and enjoy a cold beer, an angry gypsy-like character shouted "motherfucker" after me. I laughed because it was the first negative word from a Portuguese I had ever heard and I still don’t know why he did but it might be that he had a bad day or that he hates Belgians.

I found a bar; the people there hardly reacted to my hola and I went in to get myself a cold beer. The beer was cheap and the waitress looked tired; tired of working in this place I guess. I went outside and stated to observe the people around me. The most normal guy was an elderly gentleman reading a newspaper. Otherwise I got the look from many of them; the look that you would expect from a big city not a small summer village like this.

I slowly drank my beer and continued to look back but with a smile; I was in good mood and I was not going to let them do something to my day. I started to think about what to do next; I had never been driving the road to Grandola which was the capital of the region above Sines. I finished my beer having made my mind up and greeted the other customers goodbye and left. Most of them looked at me while I walked all the way to my car and drove away; I waved and smiled knowing that I would not be back and wonder if they are still sitting there looking?

Hurting the trees
Another day at an empty beach
Almost alone
Almost alone
Flowers at the beach
Praia da Fonte do Cortico Santiago…
Praia da Fonte do Cortico Santiag…
Is this nature?
Where I chilled!
Where I chilled!
Santo Andre Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Figo Doce
I had spent most of the midday on the beach after a late breakfast, it was now 3.30pm local time and I felt I deserved a cold beer. I drove in to the … read entire review
Santo Andre