It all started so good

Santiago do Cacem Travel Blog

My car is bleeding

I woke up feeling good; the sun was shining as usual and I got up too early. I knew that this day could go either way but I felt good.

The day before I hit a huge hole in the road and my radiator started to leak somewhere. It didn't leak too much half a litre in eight hours but still I needed to get it fixed before my 2300 km travel back to Brussels.

I asked for a good mechanic shop at the reception after breakfast, these girls always knows a mechanic or two. I got a lead at a VW dealer but he didnt want to do anything on my Volvo so he recommended the Toyota dealer that was almost situated next to him. At the Toyota dealer ther were very friendly. I had the luck that the desk jockey working in the office spoke good English and he told me to wait for his boss and he would have a look at it.

Morning view from the hotel

The boss was busy looking at one of these Portuguese favourite cars; a Toyota Van with a wooden box on the back. He was finally finishe with the Van and turned his attention to my bleeding Volvo. The boss was very tall for being a Portuguese and he looked like he had arrived with one of these old western movies they showed in the cinemas in the 1979.

He looked at it and said it was the radiator and it needed to be changed. He could do it the day after because he needed to order the radiator from Lisbon. It all sounded good to me, it was next to the hotel and I could have my car the day after.

Being a company lease car I had to call them and inform them about it. No way was the answer; the lease policy was that it had to fixed by a authorized workshop and the nearest one was in Setubal 80km from where I was. You have just to wait for an hour and you will be picked up by a tow truck, they told me. I waited one and a half hour before the tow truck came and in the meanwhile I had to inform the Toyota guys that I was not allowed to do it.

A nice guy who tried to help