Day II in the hands of the Assistance

Santo Andre Travel Blog

Looking at the Atlantic

I woke up in Lisbon looking forward to two things; getting a rental car and having a super breakfast at the 5 star hotel I had stayed in. The morning started really good; the breakfast was what you could expect from a quality hotel like this. They had everything and I really enjoyed it. It was a place where you removed the last thing from your plate and them it had been removed bay one of the many waiters.

The Portuguese assistance had informed me to be ready to be picked up by a taxi at 10am sharp!; as they said. I was a little bit sharper so I was there 10 minutes to 10am but the taxidriver had already arrived. The guy was friendly and talkative and he drove me to the airport and let me of at the car rental agencies, where I had been so many times.

Looking over the cliffs
He told me to go to AVIS.

I found AVIS and told my name but they had no booking in my name or in the car lease company; I even tried under the name of Mr Pool which the assistance had called me a couple of times. I left AVIS and called the Belgian Assistance again. I had not been given any booking number or address so I was a bit lost so suddenly I was no sure that the driver had taken me to the right place. I asked the Assisatnce to contact the Portuguese assistance (I had not their number either) and give me a booking number so they could find me at the AVIS stand.

One hour later they called me and asked me where I was? I was puzzled and said at the airport where I was supposed to be, but that was the wrong place the told me.

Wonderful andrelaxing
Next step would be that I should wait for a new taxi driver that would take me the right place. I waited another half an hour and finally the new taxidriver came laughing and said he was very sorry but his colleagues head must have been full of something else. First of all it was not in the airport and secondly it was Hertz and not AVIS.

After 10 min we arrived at Hertz somewhere in an industrial area: the taxi driver went along with me in to the agency because he wanted to be sure that I was the right place, which was nice of him. I was finally at the right place and half of the day had been used in order to get me some wheels. My car would now have been ready in Santiago do Cacem and I had still to drive 150 km to be back there in my rental car.

It had been two memorable days but not the way I had anticipated my holiday being spent. The first thing I did when I came back was to drive to the beach where I had not been for 48 hours and I need to be there and get relaxed again. The beach looked as I expected; just like I left it the last time.

Nobody here?