Back in Sines

Sines Travel Blog

Back in Sines

I had not been Sines for two years and I couldn't wait; not that I expected anything to happen there, it was actually the reason why I like to come back.

I had been to the beach briefly; well only two hours and afterwards I went to the car wash because the windows were milk white after killing bugs for 3300 km the last 3 days of driving.

When I drove in to the lazy harbour city I found everything as I left it. Nothing really had happen. When I left two years ago there was a fair on the harbour and it was still there! Well I guess I was there the same time of the year.

When I looked closer at it something had changed; my usual restaurant had gotten a new owner and there was yet another reason to visit it.

Lobster - what a day
The restaurant had been good but also very Portuguese in the sense that the lighting inside were more suited for a football stadium instead of an cozy restaurant. It seemed like the new owner had restricted it a bit but I was waiting for the light to come.

Sines is like I described it earlier not a touristic city at all. The only tourist who are here are her are stray German and French surfers or mobile home users searching for that secluded spot. Surfers have good time here due to the wind and the always unstable Atlantic Ocean. There is a fair amount of Portuguese tourists due to the calmness and coziness of this part of Alentejo.

Each year I been here it seemed like there was less action and a lot of closed shops; to me it seemed like this trend had stopped up and some of the old places had gotten a face lift like the restaurant on the beach. The main activities in this city have always been associated with fishing but the huge harbour had also in modern times made it a perfect spot for oil refineries. This might be the reason that tourism has not flourished here like in other fishing places like Peniche or Figuera de Fox and it is a great mistake.

It was time to get home and relax; there was another really lazy day ahead tomorrow.

Being there before everybody
Champagne anyone!
Champagne anyone!
Octopus salad
Octopus salad
There are actually people in the b…
There are actually people in the …
Sines Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Restaurante Nova Lota
My old favourite restaurant had changed owner since I was here the last time. The place had gotten a real face lift and there were now colours on the … read entire review
Sines