A day of relaxing

Bali Travel Blog

form our balcony

After the long flight the night before I was suprisingly up by 6.30, sitting on the balcony with a hot coffee watching the morning go by. The hotel staff were busy scrubbing the deck of the large pools, while another staff waded in the water cleaning ther pool. This is the life I thought as I could get very used of relaxing here.

We went down to the hotel buffet breakfast  around 8am to find fresh baked bread,  eggs, omelettes, fruit  and rice Indonesian food. The breakfast was quite good but after a couple of days we definately needed a change. We then went down to the pool swam around the 5 or 6 connecting swimming pools passing under bridges, water falls and sliding down the water slide, joining games of water volleyball and waterbasketball, eating curry and nasi goreng(fried rice) served with green vegetables, satays and fried eggs.

our privste besch

What a great way to relax but there was more with our own private beach that stretches for miles, the local Jukung( fishing boat) floating on the sea in search of their daily catch and when the tide goes out, it exposes a small coral reef with small tiger and angel fish swimming in and out between the coral. Relaxed, rejuvenated it was time to leave our isolated hotel (of course in a good way) and check the crazy scenes of Kuta.

Kuta was what originally put Bali on the tourist trail in the 60's when it became a stop by the hippies passing through Australia to Europe. By the 197o's local accomodation had been built as before that most people stayed in Denpasar.

kuta
Surfers arrived, enjoying the waves at Kuta and using it as a base to explore the rest of Bali's coastline. Only 20 years ago Kuta's hotels still tacked their signs up to palm trees but today it is wall to wall buildings filled with shops, restraunts, travel agents and money exchanges. People either love it or hate it and I was one of the later but if your into parties and night scene then this might be the place for you.

Our taxi dropped us off at the Discovery shopping mall where we sat and enjoyed a coffee before getting some bread for breakfast for the next day at the popular bakery Bread Talk, which is a self serve bakery all the bread is in baskets, all you do is get a tong and serve yourself.Walking along Kartika plaza street, people with stalls tried to get us into their shops to look at their goods "For you sir good price" hearing it constantly, the speed of the town was a lot faster,"the shouts of taxi.

kuta
taxi , taxi" . "What are you looking for sir Billabong, Quicksilver I know a great place for you", continueing on we walked down to the main street of Kuta, down towards the beach, the most notorious beach in Bali Kuta, this is the one I thought as I approached.

Kuta, the strand of sand stretching for kilometres from Tuban in the north to Kuta, Legian and beyond Seminyak. The beach was lively mostly filled with tourists especially Australians, this is the home of the Australian tourist. The waves break on the beach unlike most other places in Bali where you have to paddle out or hire aperson to take you out on the boat. The beach wasn't that beautiful but it was still quite nice.

kuta
At one stage a group of older Indonesian people grab me, looking very excited to see a foreigner they all wanted to take pics of me I held on to my wallet inside my pocket just in case they were pick pocketers or something but they just seemed like a happy group, most likely indonesian tourists from jakarta others wanted photos of my son playing in the sand and the waves.

Dinner time came and we walked back towards Tuban where we had started earlier in the day where we chose to eat at Kafe Batan Waru which was actiually in the Lonely Planet but we did not know that and ate their by chance. I had a tuna steak which was great. Caught the taxi back to our hotel and like every taxi  in Bali, small talk was started about where I was from, how long I will stay in Bali, If it were my first time here and then if I had plans for the next day which was then followed by he could offer his services for the day.

kuta
the guy drove like a maniac though so we declined the offer.

Back at the Nikko Hotel, we were brought our welcoming drink that we did not have the night before due to our arrival being so late. This was their original non alcoholic cocktail and to be extremely honest it was one of the worst drinks tha I have ever had and I forced myself to drink it. Had a couple of Bintangs on the balcony before bed to help wash the horrible taste out of my mouth. Tomorrow rafting

my wife with her welcome drink