Uluwatu, the sea temple followed by the kecak dance

Bali Travel Blog

my first cocoanut

This morning we went into Nusa Dua for the first time. Our hotel is on the southern end of Nusa Dua, all by itself about a 15 minute drive to the town. Nusa Dua is actually Bali's gated compound of resorthotels, gone are the street vendors and the hustle and bustle of the rest of the island.

We took the taxi to bali collection, a group of shops that were extrremely quiet. Bali Collection hasn't been as successful as other malls in Bali, mainly due to its isolation. We looked around grabbed a coffee from Starbucks. I have never been to a Starbucks with 2 other customers before everyone in Japan is packed. My son bought  a kite,like the ones he had seen at Kuta and then we went down to the beach at Nusa Dua.

The beach was a nice place to relax, with shade from the palm and  cocoanut trees. We sat under one on a couple of crates and ordered a couple of Bintangs from the vendor. She was a sweet , friendly lady who taught my son how to fly his kite. the Bali weather in the dry seasonis perfect not too hot and dry around 30 degrees everyday I never once said I was hot on the whole trip.

The bintangs gone there was one thing to try a cocoanut, the vendor picked up her knife and chopped off the top and plomped two straws into its milk.It was my first time to have a cocoanut I was expecting it to be milkier, sweeterbut therre was not much taste, did I like it no, did I hate it no, would I have another one, only if I was really thirsty and didn't have else to drink.

Walked back through bali collection and stopped at an Italian restraunt, with an Italian chef and had some pizza and spaghetti which was quite nice.

The Bali Collection doesn't allow metred taxi's to stop unless they are bringing customers instead tehy use driver services for a set price of 35,000 rupiah only ($3.50) but still double the normal price so we waited by the side of the road for a taxi to drive by. While in the taxi , we negotiated with the driver to take us on an 11 hour trip around Bali for 450,000 rupiah ($45) in two days time.

3pm came and we went down to the lobby to go on our first cultural experience of Bali to Uluwatu, and to see the kecak dance followed by seafood BBQ at Jimbalan beach. We had organized with a taxi 250,000 rupiah($25) for his services for the evening. Ulu watu was about a 30-40 minute drive and cost 3000 (30 cents) rupiah to enter.

It is one of several important temples to the spirits of the sea , along the south coast of Bali.

In the 11th century, the Javanese priest Empu Kuturan first established a temple here. The temple was added to by Niratha, another Javanese priestwho is known for his seafront temples. Niratha retreated to Uluwatu for his final days when he attained moksa (freedom from early desires)

Walking along the path it comes to a stunning clearing to the left Uluwatu'S temple is perched precipitously on top of a sheer cliff that drops straight into the pounding surf, to the right another cliff with perfect views of ul;uwatu and further away from the crowds.Around the temple is where you will see your first minkey, the long tailed, grey monkeys. These monkeys will snatch anything that is attached to your head, sunglasses, hair clips, ribbons etc .

You have a chance of getting them back as the Balinese people give them food in exchange for your goods of course you have to give some money to these people who are looking for a tip, The monkeys look like they have been cleverly trained to do this.

In the temple grounds for 40,000 rupiah($4) you can have the pleasure of watching the amazing kecak dance, the kecak is a unique dance which is not accompanied by any gamelan(orchestra). 100 men sit in a circle, crying out the rythmic chant chak-a chak, chak-a-chak imitating a tropue of monkeys. The dance re encacts the Hindu epic Ramayana, the love story about Prince Rama and his Princess Sita. The kecak is an absolute must see in Bali if you see a dance make sure its this one.

The taxi was waiting for us and drove us to Jimbalan, earlier in the year there was a TB Meet up here. Jimbalan is famous for its gorgeous sunset and great BBQ seafood but unfortunately for us it was already dark when we arrived. Here you choose your food and then they weigh on a scale. 5 large shrimp, a kilo of red snapper  and 500 grams of squid were BBQ'd in lime, garlic and spices. The food was devine

joseph98 says:
Great blog post, and some fantastic photos too!
Posted on: Oct 01, 2013
mabby says:
Uluwatu was so amazing wasn't it? The Kecak Dance was so beautiful!
Posted on: Oct 26, 2009
aiohdmg says:
Wow..you do a very great blog!
Woohoo..i didnot go to Jimbaran this time. Buahaha..Envy u... :)
Posted on: Aug 26, 2009
fire dance
dinner red snapper, prawns and squ…
dinner red snapper, prawns and sq…
ulu watu