Bali sayonara

Bali Travel Blog

babi guling

Before leaving the villas we couldn't go without another morning swim in our pool. 12 pm soon came and it was time for us to check out but to our suprise, they thought we were checking in. Well if only that was the case we would of loved to stay longer. With that sorted out, our driver that we had organized was waiting for us. we were going home today so the driver was going to take us to the airport in 10 hours time but before that there was more Bali to explore.

Before exploring though it was time for lunch, if there is one thing you have to dois try Babi Guling, a roasted suckling pig mixed with herbs, a few spices on a bed of rice. the meat is so soft and tender and the crackle, fatty hard and crunchy. The best meal I had in Baliand it only cost around $1-$2

Lunch finished it was time to head uptowards pura Ulun Danu Bratan temple, it would be quite awhile before we get there so with my belly full I fell asleep like a baby does soon after feeding.

candikuning market
About an hour later I woke up with a headache. my first time with an signs of sickness. we travelled further up the mountain until we came to a small village of CandiKuning, located on the western side of the lake. The village is wellknown for its fruit, vegetables, spices, herbs and plants. a great place to buy some fruit if you were staying in Bali for awhile. We gou out to have a look at the daily action of the market. a stall that caught my attention was the smile for life stall, a t-shirt shop run by the widows of the 2002 Kuta bombings.

the market made a nice little side trip and was not far from Pura Ulun Danu Bratan. Earlier in the day the weather had been a clear, sunny day but now the clouds had rolled in and the sky was covered in mist, which I think helped bwith the atmoshereof the temple located on the lake.

candikuning market
What is quite remarkable about Pura ulun danu Bratan is that this temple is important to both the Hindu and Buddhist religion, with both religions living in harrmony, if only other places were more like this.

the temple was founded in the 17th centuryand is dedicated to Dewi danu, the goddess of the water. the temple is completely surrounded by the lake. there are often ceremonies held here to ensure that there is a supply of water for farmers all over Bali. Don't forget to hve a look at the impressive Buddhist stupa that also occupies the grounds.

Coming back down from Ulun Danu Bratan, we decided we would like to see the most famous rice fields in Bali, Jatiluwuhwhich lives up to its meaning 'truly marvellous'. Itis hard to describe these centuries old terraced fields, except to say that they are a beautiful green with stunning panorama views  from the narrowing twisting road.

Jatiluwah
These fields have been nominated for UNESCO status. the rice grown is more traditional rice unlike the hybrid rice that you find growing in other parts of Bali. Just a small tip there's a toll for this road of 10,000 rupiah per passenger and 5,000 rupiah for the car.

With my headache getting worst, my wife mentioned she also had one.  we both slept until we arrived at Tanah Lot, we were lucky that the grey clouds and mist up on the mountain had disappeared once we went down, so that we knew we would be in for a great sunset.Tanah Lot, at first you must pass through a walkway surrounded by souvenier shops down to the sea. It doesn't leave a very nice first impression but the silhouette temple with the sunset in the background is definately worth seeing even though it is the most visited temple in Bali.

pura ulun danu bratan
It is also one of the most important, it is closely associated with the Majapahit priest, Nirathra.

Be aware though (JAMES) local legend has it if you bring a partnerto Tanah Lot before marriage, you will end up breaking up. Let that be a warning to you, mate

Back in the car and feeling worst than ever with a migraine, we drove to Kuta to the Mall Bali Galleria, my wife had wanted to do some shopping before leaving but with both of even feeling wost than before, we could only wander through the mall looking for a place to rest., we didn't want Indonesian food our stomaches couldn't handle it, so we settled for Planet Hollywood.

There was only other couple in this huge place, with the band playing, the singer screeching her lungs out, our food was served. Over the meal no one spoke, my son was busy eating his burger, while my wife and I just stared into blankness, white as a ghost.

tanah lot
My wife went to the bathroom and returned about 10 minutes later, you can gusee what happened. 5 minutes later I was running for the bathroomonly to see 3 terrible words posted on the bathroom door OUT OF ORDER.

stupa at pura ulun danu bratan