DAY 6 LLANGANUCO AND YUNGAY

Caraz Travel Blog

Lake Llanganuco
Up early with Matt, Janice and Tristan to go on a journey to Lake Llanganuco. The coach was mostly full of local families having a weeked day out but we were made to feel welcome, and as Tristan speaks pretty good Spanish we didn't miss out on much of the running commentary.

We stopped at an ice cream shop in Caraz which we suspected was part owned by the tour guide. The scenery was stunning as the coach took us up and up the mountains, finally on to a dirt track for the final twenty five km to the Lake. We had an hour to walk around the lake which is a fantastic turquoise and changes colour according to the time of day and the season. The air was fresh, but even thinner up here. I couldn't resist it and rolled up my trousers and paddled in the water. Not as cold as I thought it would be but I didn't fancy a swim.

On the way home we stopped at Yungay, the site of the worst disaster of the earthquake in the early 70's, which caused an avalanche of mud and roack to completely bury the whole town in moments, killing all residents except a group of children visiting a circus on a nearby hill. The whole site is now covered in a memorial garden which includes reminders of the devastation, like the remains of a mangled bus and parts of the ruined church sticking up through the mud.
A glacier peeping out of the clouds