DAY 4

Huaraz Travel Blog

DAY 4

My first day at work in Peru! At 8.30am Haydee took me to meet Patrice, the director of INABIF, an organisation working with poor families in Huaraz. Unfortunately Patrice speaks very little English and neither does Haydee. As my Spanish is pretty basic too, we played a very entertaining game of charades, before deciding that I would be working with the 8 - 10 year old children every afternoon.

When I arrived later, I was just knocked out at the welcome I got from the children. I helped them with their English and they helped me with my Spanish. Then I made the mistake of making an origami bird which flapped its wings and for the rest of the afternoon I was swamped by children with big pleading eyes thrusting scraps of paper at me saying "Tom Tom una palomito por favor".
Kids at INABIF
At 3.30pm we joined all the other classes in the big hall where the children were each given a metal bowl of some kind of grey goo to eat. Then I was walked home by a small crowd of childen all saying VERY GOOD which I think they probably picked up from me.

The weather in Huaraz is amazingly predictable. Every morning is sunny and bright with the temperature rising to about 22C by late morning. During the afternoon the cloud begins to build and at around 4.30pm it begins to rain. This happens every day at this time of year, so I eneded up walking to the Language School in the rain. Teacher William introduced his students who were all between 10 and 12 and spoke amazingly good English for their age. I was relentlessly quizzed about my entire life for an hour.

Walked back home in the rain, which reminded me of home.
Huaraz