DAY 2 LIMA TO HUARAZ

Lima Travel Blog

Lima
The sun over Lima did something unexpected and came out. It made the morning slightly less oppressive as Sindy hailed a taxi to get us to the bus depot in central Lima. The driver seemed to be the same guy who was driving the combi the night before.

I was impressed with the Movil Tours bus which had two drivers, reclining seats, a toilet, a packed lunch and a free glass of Inca Kola (a very popolar bright yellow brew). It also had a stewardess who looked like one of Robert Palmers backing singers and defied gravity by not spilling a drop of Kola while serving everyone on a wildly moving bus. The driver managed twenty minutes before removing the wing mirror of a passing truck. The food was a very tasty stew with some rice with jelly to follow (jello for my American readers).
Street vendor, Lima

This was an eight hour bus ride so we had movies. I was touched that the stewardess put on the English subtitles just for me, but it was a mixed blessing. The films were both awful but I felt obliged to watch them because everyone else was putting up with the subtitles.

The scenery changed to desert as we left Lima heading north on the Panamerican Highway, then turning west to make the slow climb up the mountains. This is a tortuous bus journey that the people of Huaraz make regularly to and from the bright lights of Lima. It seemed to go on forever, particularly when it got dark. Someone complained the aircon was too cold so the driver switched it off and the whole bus steamed up.
Lima
Standing up to stretch your legs was out of the question as the rollercoaster bus dropped from an almost airless 4500m down towards Huaraz which nestles between the Cordillera Blanca and Negra at 3100m. The altitude causes many people real problems, but so far I just had a slight headache which was more likely caused by the bus journey than the altitude.

Sindy got us a taxi from the bus depot and we were met by her father Luis at the door of their huge rambling house. I met Luis’ wife Haydee and two other volunteers Matt and Janice, a couple from Canada. Haydee whipped out burger and chips as if by magic and Luis poured me some coca tea which is supposed to help with altitude sickness. I guessed the best thing for my headache was sleep, and I was right. Waking up the next morning to sunshine and a spectacular view of the mountains I was surprised to feel great.
Lima
Teeth are big business in Peru!
Teeth are big business in Peru!
Combi and Collectivo
Combi and Collectivo
Leaving the city
Leaving the city
More dentists
More dentists
Still leaving Lima
Up into the mountains as the sun s…
Up into the mountains as the sun …
photo by: rsvpme