A trip to see The Doctor

Brno Travel Blog

Watching the bikes go by

Up at 6 to get the tram to the Sud-Bahnhof and then the train to Brno. I was told by the hostel that it was 20 minutes maximum to the station on the tram but it was more like 45 and I missed the 7am train. Cutting a long story short I took a later train, changing at Breclav and eventually got to Brno 2 hours after I had planned to.

Getting to the circuit from the town centre is fairly straight forward. Tram no. 1 to Mendlovo Namasti, then the free bus no. 400 to the circuit. It takes about 20 minutes to get there and drops you off near the entrance to T1 and T3 sections.

Problem I was going to sit in area C so it was another 20 minute walk before I could get in.

Rossi v Lorenzo
But worth the wait, Brno is a fantastic place to watch motor racing and the atmosphere was incredible. I sat with all the Valentino Rossi fans with their flags, air horns, fireworks and smoke bombs.

Valentino (the Doctor as he calls himself) was on pole and led for 2/3 of the main MotoGP race holding off a determined effort from Jorge Lorenzo. With 6 laps to go Lorenzo passed Rossi but our Italian hero pressured him into a mistake and the Spaniard fell off into the gravel trap. Everyone went wild and as Rossi crossed the line to take the win the fireworks and the smoke bombs were everywhere.

On the warm down lap Hayden did a burn out in front of us and Rossi also stopped to thank his adoring fans. The guy is so special combining that sportsmanship and will to win with his Italian charm. I can't think of any other sporting personality like him who is so much at the top of his sport but is liked by so many people.

Nicky Hayden does a burn up
I am definitely going to another MotoGP.

Got back to the town centre of Brno and wandered around for a bit as I has nearly 2 hours to kill before my train back to Vienna. It looks like a nice, prosperous town but there were so many beggars and homeless folk around asking people for money and not going away when they were told no. At the station one guy was getting very aggressive with a German guy who would not give him a cigarette. I suppose it is difficult for people when 200,000 motorbike fans have come to your town, many from abroad, and have the same sort of money to spend on a race ticket that would feed them for a fortnight.

Anyway a fantastic but very tiring day. Got back to the hostel at 10pm, had a beer then out like a light.

TigerTips

• Print out some sort of map of the circuit and of the centre of Brno before you go as this will make things a lot easier.
  • Tram number 1 goes to Mendlovo Namasti from outside the railway station.
  • Just going to the Czech Republic for the day to seem the GP? It is not essential to change money into Czech currency as Euros are acceptable at the circuit (tickets, food, souvenirs) although the exchange rate was not great

Me by the circuit map