Tall buildings, fast cars and German nudists

Munich Travel Blog

Olympic Tower

Up earlyish and straight on the S-bahn to the Olympic park, the site of the 1972 games. Madonna is in town and at 10:30 there were about 50 fans loitering around the entrance of the main stadium waiting to get in for a gig that starts at 8pm in the evening. Due to the concert, the stadium tour was not running so I had to be happy with going up the 291m Olympic tower and saw some incredible views of Munich.

The whole Olympic park is much more intimate than I imagined it would be and some of the buildings are looking a little tired now (I suppose they are 40 years old) but what a legacy the Olympics left the city of Munich, lets hope the London Olympics does the same for our capital.

Olympic Stadium

Over the road I from the Olympic complex is the BMW complex which incorporates the factory, office buildings and two visitor attractions. BMW Welt is basically a glorified car showroom. It is free to go in and look at all the models and there are lots of interactive exhibits which illustrate all the technological bits and bobs that go into a new BMW. The building itself is a spectacular piece of modern architecture and I was disappointed that my pictures could not do it justice.

Over a walkway there is the recently opened BMW museum. Here there is all the history of BMW from the early days of being an aircraft engine manufacturer, through making motorbikes and then onto car production. There are some fantastic old vehicles on show here in immaculate condition and the whole museum is so well put together with all exhibits described in German and English.

Retro concept car from the BMW museum
Pleased that BMW did not hide from the fact that they employed slave labour during the war but they do stress that these were “the darkest days of the company's history”.

There is also a temporary exhibition showing the history of BMW concept cars with some ones from the 1950s (which look just like cars from the 1950s) to modern day outlandish designs. There was a really cool retro concept 328 coupé, based on the car that won the Mile Miglia in 1940. Over all I would recommend the BMW museum, it is a bit on the pricey side at €12 to get in but an interesting place none the less.

After lunch I walked around the centre of Munich, through the Marienplatz and the market. It is a nice city but apparently even the older looking buildings are quite new as much of the city was destroyed in the war.

Rathaus
Plenty of shops and prosperous looking people wandering about but I was getting tired of looking at buildings and shops.

I caught the U-bahn to the huge Englisher Garten and spent some time wandering through the nice tree lined pathways. It was hot today and plenty of the locals were swimming in the fast moving streams that run through one end of the park, the streams are also used for canoeing and people were going a hell of a lick down the water. Further on there was a more sedate pace with people sunbathing and relaxing in the sun.

So there I am walking down the side of the river and I notice this enormous German guy in the other side of the water walking in the opposite direction. “God that guy must have the smallest pair of speedos in the world” I thought until he got a bit clearer. There this guy was, stark naked wandering around the park without a care in the world. Then straight away there was another large German chap doing the same thing. Then another lying on his back, one leg cocked open, showing off his meat and 2 veg! I know the Germans have this reputation for nudism (and us people from the English speaking world have a Victorian attitude towards going out in the buff) but this was a bit of a shock to see them bearing all in the middle of a busy public park. Disappointed to see no 20 year old females doing the same thing, I returned to the hostel.

In the evening, once the Wombat happy hour had ended (€1 for a beer), I went with my room mate (yet another Aussie) to the famous Hofbrauhaus brewery and had a couple of giant litre glasses of beer. We got talking to some locals and had a good laugh talking about beer and football. Looked for the supposed hidden swastikas on the ceiling near the bandstand but I could not see them and went back to bed.

bkretzer says:
LOL I, like you, had much higher hopes, when I saw your blog title! Informative, anyway!
Posted on: Aug 19, 2009
Olympic Stadium
Retro concept car from the BMW mus…
Retro concept car from the BMW mu…
Munich