From Schnitzels to Sausages

Vienna Travel Blog

Railjet Train

Up at 9 so a nice lie in for once after my hectic day in Brno. The wierdo room-mate left just before I got up but concerned that the Aussie girl in the room did not come back last night.. She is travelling on her own and looks a bit on the innocent so left her a note wishing her a good trip.

Well, off on the Railjet from Vienna to Munich. I booked this journey before I left the UK so got a great deal in the fancy Premium Class. What an experience. 200 kmh, soft leather reclining seats and constant flow of drinks and snacks (chocolate bars, pastries, fresh bread & jam, parma ham wrap, hot chicken in breadcrumbs). No wi-fi though which is a bit of a disappointment as that seems standard at home on most of the high speed links.

The posh seats
The full price is over €120 for a single ticket but if you snag a bargain on the OBB website I would highly recommend it. I travelled in economy class on the Budapest-Vienna leg of my trip a few days ago and the legroom there is outstanding so thumbs up to the Austrians for their trains.

So onto Munich. I previously came here about 20 years ago with my parents but I don't remember that much. A few things are on my agenda such as BMW-welt, the Olympic complex, Dachau and of course the Hofbrauhaus but we will see where life takes us.   Sausages are a must of course when in Germany (and hopefully better than the Wiener Schnitzel I had in Vienna)

Checked in at the Wombats Hostel, good location near the station, very clean and a nice room. Had a few beers in the bar but suddenly hit the wall at about 11 and had to go to bed. Plenty of exploring to do tomorrow.

Vienna