Buda and Pest

Budapest Travel Blog

Parliament Building

Woken at 7am by Romanian customs at Curtini. Had a good nights sleep on the night train and the sleeper carriages look very safe (mind you there are four different locks on the door). We were at the frontier for about 30 minutes so I got out of the train to stretch my legs and see the last of Romania.

Back in the cabin, breakfast was served by or dodgy looking Attendant (broody, unshaven, looks like he cleans his teeth with a flick-knife – you get the picture). He went mad when he saw that I had not locked the door after I returned to my cabin (well I was awake and there is another guy in as well). Maybe there are more to Romanian sleepers than meets the eye?

Aussies in the carriage next door tell me there is some music festival going on in Budapest this week so that could be something to do.

Nice streets
Can't be bothered to read my guidebook, will see where life takes me.

After dumping my bag at the hostel I walked into town. The hostel is near the Hungarian Parliament building and does bear some resemblance to the Palace of Westminster in London. The difference between Budapest and Bucharest (where I have just come from) could not be more different. Here there are loads of old buildings, nice street cafes and more importantly things to do!

I crossed the Danube over to Buda (Budapest is in fact two places – Buda on the west side of the river and Pest on the east) and took the funicular railway up to Buda Castle. Had a look in the Budapest History Museum but after an hour I got a bit bored as most of the exhibits are only labelled in Hungarian. I was interested in learning about the Hungarian Uprising in 1956 and the communist era but nothing was covered after the end of the second world war.

Travelled on the tram for a bit to see a bit more of the city – not sure how you validate the ticket though (the machines did not seem to work) so I got about 4 trips for the price of one. Bought a few souvenirs and postcards (are you watching Bucharest)

After a sleep back at the hostel I met up with some Italians and Australians and we all went out for some food. Had Goulash soup (well as in Budapest...) and a few beers then bed. It had been a long day.

The Danube